Sign in with
Your question

Need some advice

Last response: in Overclocking
April 11, 2012 12:01:08 AM

I am in the process of building my first custom liquid cooling system for a case mod. I have a question about the type of liquid to use. I have read that distilled water is a good option and doesn't allow algae of corrosives to build up or stick to the pins on the water block. I am pretty new at this but I have been researching for a couple months in my spare time trying to figure out what parts give me the most bang for my buck and also what is within my budget. Any advice on what liquids are the best to use that lessen the possibility of failure would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is what I have so far:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swiftechmcp355.html
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
http://www.xoxide.com/primoflex-38id-58od-uvblue.html
http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-dual-quiet-radiator.html
http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-apogee-lp-low-profile.ht...

Obviously this isn't an extreme performance cooling setup but in my opinion its much better than buying a pre-built from corsair.

More about : advice

a c 150 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:56:03 AM

I would swap out the block for an XSPC Raystorm cpu block.
m
l
April 11, 2012 4:05:11 AM

Any benefits or proven performance enhancements? like i said in my beginning post this isn't a high end performance liquid cooling system.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:59:17 AM

well I like compression fittings not barbs, and hay we all started some wear, jest like me, I started small and worked my way up real slow. I also do like chemical resistant tubing, it lasts longer in my opinion. but there is a cost involved, I do not use water in my systems I use antifreeze, distilled water, and water wetter as a additive, to prevent corrosion. hay this is what I do, and to prepare myself for that I bought accordingly. so good luck, and have fun out there.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 5:51:36 AM

welcome to the forums newcomer!
may we have full system specs?

since the parts you've posted/linked are a lil shady - i mean a low profile block would obviously bang into the cooling mosfets on your mobo.

whats i your budget?
when will you buy it?

get back with these answers and we can move up on from there.

have you also read the sticky in the top of the forums? its in my sig
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 2:35:21 PM

Quote:
I do not use water in my systems I use antifreeze, distilled water, and water wetter as a additive, to prevent corrosion

You shouldn't need to use anything for corrosion inhibitor if you are running antifreeze- all brands are all anti-corrosive mixtures.

Water wetter was mainly used to lower the surface tension and improve viscosity of plain water. It was typically written off as snake oil several years ago within the watercooling community.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:00:22 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
I do not use water in my systems I use antifreeze, distilled water, and water wetter as a additive, to prevent corrosion

You shouldn't need to use anything for corrosion inhibitor if you are running antifreeze- all brands are all anti-corrosive mixtures.

Water wetter was mainly used to lower the surface tension and improve viscosity of plain water. It was typically written off as snake oil several years ago within the watercooling community.

yes you are correct, but when I was researching years ago about how to prevent cerotic corrosion in my 1987 pony, (car ) after having the head milled down because of it. keep in mind that at that time is was taking chem. 2 so it played into the class study as well. but any way water wetter will bond with microscopic platelets of metal, giving them a neutral charge so that positively charged partials do not build up in the system, causing a molecular change in the mixture antifreeze or water. changing it into a acid, this process can occur faster in a water system because there are no inhibiters. but it would still take more than 6 months on a new system to become a issue. there are a few conditions that must be meet, 1) there has to be more than 1 type of metal in the loop, and nickel or iron in the case, are the worst case scenario for how fast this process can occur.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:19:47 PM

Quote:
It was typically written off as snake oil several years ago within the watercooling community.
yeah i used to see conundrum yell about it...
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:33:12 PM

Conumdrum was rather harsh with most of the info he tried to get across.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:41:09 PM

uhuh! :/  i wonder how you're refraining from that, i've done that a lil too often i think :S
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:52:07 PM

He knows a lot- I see him around on some other forums and he's the same there as he was here. I haven't seen him around Tom's for over a year or so...maybe longer.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:58:04 PM

hmm, i was there when he said: "thas it i've had enough, i'm leaving Tom's for good"
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:59:17 PM

rubix_1011 said:
He knows a lot- I see him around on some other forums and he's the same there as he was here. I haven't seen him around Tom's for over a year or so...maybe longer.

hay, I was never a member, jest read, and watched how would you know that, man programming has come a long way hasn't it, scarry.
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:08:53 PM

Quote:
hmm, i was there when he said: "thas it i've had enough, i'm leaving Tom's for good"

I must have missed that one- I always wondered what actually happened to why he left. I'd go dig it up, but I don't really have the time or desire to take the time to go searching...
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:12:59 PM

i remember, he got angry with people asking about mixed metals and coolants...or thas how the thread went...very very long time ago.

Quote:
I'd go dig it up, but I don't really have the time or desire to take the time to go searching...
you and me both mate...better things to do than follow a childs footsteps :p  who isn't my child :p 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:17:39 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:

I must have missed that one- I always wondered what actually happened to why he left. I'd go dig it up, but I don't really have the time or desire to take the time to go searching...

well that wasn't me, I have never been on any forum before, other than to see the types of conversations occurring, and after reading from many different forums I decided on this one. because of the high level of conversing with open opinions and good feedback.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:20:13 PM

^ we're talking about Conumdrum a very educated but a rather gorilla'ish brute :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:47:34 PM

Lutfij said:
^ we're talking about Conumdrum a very educated but a rather gorilla'ish brute :) 

do I come off that way, ill work on that to, I'm not trying to, sorry, how do you do those sad faces?
m
l
April 11, 2012 6:08:07 PM

Ok I am doing a computer mod that is basicly taking all the parts of my computer and putting inside a desk and that desk being the case. The top of the desk is a 7 inch deep container that will house all the parts including the liquid cooling system. The cover of this container is going to be glass so that you can see inside my computer at all times and see all the pretty lights and sh*t. I'm lining the inside of the container with cold cathode black lights that will illuminate various parts of the cooling system and I'm also doing some painting on the inside that will be lit up. I have plenty of room to work with on the inside of this container to put all the various parts.

Computer specs:
MSI G54 military grade mobo
AMD Phenom X6 2.8ghz
16 gigs G.Skill ram (1600)
2 Radeon 5770's crossfired
1TB Seagate HDD
$20 wireless card (lol)
Corsair 600T case white edition
windows 7 64-bit

I also read the sticky about half an hour after I posted this thread so I felt really dumb
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 10:20:27 PM

the pc in a desk + wc'ing has been done before, you can find it via google search.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 12, 2012 11:54:52 AM

^ please watch your language - we aren't that dumb to begin with and this isn't an episode of south park where the censoring isn't even needed as you can clearly make out the first and last letters in a cuss.

its been done...over a few years ago and has been going since. Like i said, google and you'll get a wealth of info :) 
m
l
!