Questions about Raid....

roborabbit

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Building a new PC and I have a few questions about raid.

1. From a performance point of view, is it worth it to build a raid using the chipset raid controller on your mother board? From the benchmarks I've seen that striped(0), 1+0, and raid 3/4 don't really provide any significant advantage in terms of read/write speed over single drives unless they are built using an add-on raid card. Will I see a real difference in system performance or is the performance all benchmark?

2. Raid 5 (and raid 6 too I assume though I couldn't find any benchmarks / tests / charts on it) when using your motherboard's raid controller lags behind all other standard raid setups and single drives in terms of read/write speed (since it uses your CPU to do the parity calculations, would this be greater on a Raid 6 setup since the parity calculations are essentially doubled due to dual parity?). However, the only benchmarks I found readily available on raid 5 were done on ancient technology (ie, single core p4's ddr and single channel dimms; funny that 5 year old technology constitutes "ancient" when referring to PCs) does this problem persist or is it minimalized with quad / dual core chips? Also does raid 5 still lag severely(ie taking 2x as long to burn a CD) behind other raid standards when using add-on cards?

Honestly the only reason I am considering raid is for the performance increase. The PC I'm building will be strictly for fun, web-surfing, and gaming; so the lose of HDD data will only harm my wallet(if the disk is dead) and consume 6 hours of my life which I'm used to anyway since I tend to format my PCs atleast 4 times a year.

My new PC build is as follows:

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 95w
Antec 300 Case (This guy is getting the dremel... it's just so easy to mod this thing it isn't funny, this will be my 3rd 300, I have the habit of giving my old PCs away when I build a new system.. out-dated 2nd hand PCs make great gifts for young relatives / friend's kids)
Antec 650w Earthwatts
AData 2x2GB DDR3 1600(PC3 12800) (going to be 4x2GB when I feel like shelling out the cash for Win7 64 bit)
VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 4870 1 GB version. (BestBuy is having a good deal on these, got it for 149.99 online, cheaper than even NewEgg... let's hope their customer support/ RMA is just as good as the Egg's if worse comes to worse)

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Raid 0+1 if you have money to buy 4 hard drives.

I'm using Raid 0 right now in my system and it kicks ass. I'll probably never go back to using just a single hard drive, unless it's an SSD. I get average read/write speeds above 200 mbs. I have network storage at home so if I lose the data, no big deal. Throw another hard drive in, image it, and it's ready to go.