AMD AM3 790GX or 790FX?

keny2988

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hi all,

My laptop recently died so I am now planning a brand new build. I will be doing a lot of data processing (I am a graduate student) which could include photoshopping or using programs like Image J. Because of the unexpected death of my laptop I wasn't really looking for a new build at this time (read: on a tight budget). Anyway here is my question:

I will be using an AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor with 4gb of ram and windows 7. My concern is over the mobo and GPU.

Should I go with a 790GX and upgrade to a ATI 5000 (5850 or 5870) series around next may or should I go with a 790FX and buy a crappy (read cheap) video card now and then upgrade to an ATI 5000 series next may?

If you need any other details of my build I will provide, however for brevity I figured I would leave them out.

Thanks,

Eric

rockyjohn

Distinguished
You always start with the applications you want to run. Your data and image operations require very little power. Do you game? What games and resolutions? Any other activities?

You also did not say if you needed Crossfire capability, which makes a big difference in selecting mobo. Since you did not mention it, I will assume it is not an issue.

You can easily handle the activties you listed - with no gaming- with onboard video. In which case save a little and go with the 785G or even 780G mobo - 785G has a little better on board video.

If you want to do light gaming - or have that capability - then you can save some money on the mobo with the 770 chipset (preferably the AM3 version) or use any of the above and get this card - currently on sale for only $45 AR

ASUS EAH4670/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121329

What you can get by with now compared to saving money for later is a preference decision only you can make - and off course also depends on earnings stream. But the 4670 would give you some nice LIGHT gaming now.