Bad bad RAM, now laptop has annoying delay!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 3:59:59 PM

Hi guys, this one has me stumped!

So awhile back I stuffed my IBM Thinkpad a20m with 512mb of RAM to
improve performance. Well, one of them went bad recently which drove
me nuts (I thought it was a virus, and then HDD failure). The computer
kept rebooting randomly or giving me a blue screen of death.

So I removed the offending stick of RAM and put in the old stick I had
(64MB) and now I have 320MB of RAM. There's a weird delay whenever I
do something and it's really getting on my nerves. The HDD doesn't
thrash and the swap seems fine. Taskman says I'm only using around
170MB or memory or so right now and it still has a delay.

Is there a way to speed this up or diagnose what is going on?

Thanks!

-G
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 11:11:08 PM

G Tom wrote:
> Hi guys, this one has me stumped!
>
> So awhile back I stuffed my IBM Thinkpad a20m with 512mb of RAM to
> improve performance. Well, one of them went bad recently which drove
> me nuts (I thought it was a virus, and then HDD failure). The computer
> kept rebooting randomly or giving me a blue screen of death.
>
> So I removed the offending stick of RAM and put in the old stick I had
> (64MB) and now I have 320MB of RAM. There's a weird delay whenever I
> do something and it's really getting on my nerves. The HDD doesn't
> thrash and the swap seems fine. Taskman says I'm only using around
> 170MB or memory or so right now and it still has a delay.
>
> Is there a way to speed this up or diagnose what is going on?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -G
Hi,
Why don't you run some memory diagnostics such as memtest86?
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 11:47:12 PM

Tony Hwang <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<gjlBc.832354$Ig.125591@pd7tw2no>...
> G Tom wrote:
> > Hi guys, this one has me stumped!
> >
> > So awhile back I stuffed my IBM Thinkpad a20m with 512mb of RAM to
> > improve performance. Well, one of them went bad recently which drove
> > me nuts (I thought it was a virus, and then HDD failure). The computer
> > kept rebooting randomly or giving me a blue screen of death.
> >
> > So I removed the offending stick of RAM and put in the old stick I had
> > (64MB) and now I have 320MB of RAM. There's a weird delay whenever I
> > do something and it's really getting on my nerves. The HDD doesn't
> > thrash and the swap seems fine. Taskman says I'm only using around
> > 170MB or memory or so right now and it still has a delay.
> >
> > Is there a way to speed this up or diagnose what is going on?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -G
> Hi,
> Why don't you run some memory diagnostics such as memtest86?
> Tony

Thanks, but I already ruled out bad memory and removed the offending
stick. My question now is what is causing this delay? Is it the low
memory (320M with Win2K) or did the constant BSODs and restarts mess
something up. Other than a 1-2 second delay with no HDD thrashing,
everything is fine. I guess the problem could still be physical, but
my instinct says no.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'd forgotten about memtest86 which
WOULD have been useful earlier!

-G
Related resources
June 24, 2004 3:58:01 AM

Bios settings for time-delays? If you've got it set up wrong (i'd set it to
'auto' if i were you) then you might be losing data, or the ram might have
corrupt data due to insufficient time to 'pass it on'...blah blah, you know
the script.

"G Tom" <xanthinine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, but I already ruled out bad memory and removed the offending
> stick. My question now is what is causing this delay? Is it the low
> memory (320M with Win2K) or did the constant BSODs and restarts mess
> something up. Other than a 1-2 second delay with no HDD thrashing,
> everything is fine. I guess the problem could still be physical, but
> my instinct says no.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'd forgotten about memtest86 which
> WOULD have been useful earlier!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 24, 2004 1:27:56 PM

I'll check that out, but I didn't change anything myself.

Thanks!

!