Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon x2 II 270 max overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
April 11, 2012 8:34:13 AM

Mobo : Asus M3A78-EM AM2+
CPU : AMD Athlon x2 II 270 (AM3 3.4GHz Stock)
Heat sink : Asus triton 70 heatsink (with 2 80mm fan's running at top speed)
Memory : 2GB Corsair and 2GB Kingston DDR2 (All 4 sticks running at 800MHz)
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 PCI-Ex 1GB GDDR3

Alright so recently I got the afformentioned processor for my computer and so far everything is working extreamly well, no over heating, no BSODs, less lag. Compard to my older processor, the new one, despite being much faster, is actually fairly cooler then my old AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ (2.7 GHz Stock)

Athlon 64 x2 5200+ (2.7GHz)
Idle : 35c
Load (GTA 4) : 50-60c

Athlon x2 II 270 (3.4GHz)
Idle : 30-33c
Load (GTA 4) : 38-45c

Since I'm using a fairly decent cooler, and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon due to lack of funds, I was wondering how high have some people have overclocked the 270 or similar Athlon x2 II CPU's. I'd like to know because currently I'm at 3.6GHz and my temps barely budged (add about maybe 1-2 degrees to load temp's)

(BTW, load tests where done with GTA 4 at Low-Medium settings at 1920x1080 resolution and Tri-Linear filtering)
April 16, 2012 4:31:52 PM

K im not too sure how well your going to be able to do this with 2 different types of ram.
Also i'll need to know what PSU your using before i'll be able to recommend max vcore's.
i would suggest till i read back again. to set everything to default. as well as maybe remove the kingston ram. thats like asking a God and a ant to share the load. lol maybe not so exaggerated.
But only up the multiplier 0.5x per attempt.
boot into windows. and run your game at max settings. if it crashes move on. if not continue this
once you reach a crash boot into bios, and instead of uping multipler. up the vcore just once. with the + key.
then reboot and boot into windows and run the game at max settings
if you cannot, up the vcore once more, and try again. once you get it, move on
now repeat the process starting at uping the multiplyer. once you get a crash, you'll need to up the vcore.
but remember this entire process could go very wrong very fast.
so do not bumb the vcore into the redzone UNLESS you have experience in first degree murder, :sol: 
April 16, 2012 4:38:18 PM

They're different BRANDS of RAM. All four sticks of ram run at 800 MHz

Also, I have a Cooler Master PSU with 650watts.

The default multiplier for the 270 is also its max, 17x (200 x 17 = 3.4Ghz). So Im limited to FSB over clocking (which I know can get a little messy at higher FSB speeds)
!