Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking for beginners

Last response: in Overclocking
April 11, 2012 9:36:55 AM

hello,

im wondering could anyone give me a basic guide to overclocking.
im not going overboard, just an extra 0.5ghz will do fine,
as ill be using this on friday when i get mobo

currently using an athlon x3 425, but im getting a phenom ii x6 1045t
also ill be using an msi 970a-g46 motherboard to overclock with.

thanks alot
marc

More about : overclocking beginners

April 11, 2012 10:16:23 AM

thanks for that,
ill have a look now
Related resources
April 14, 2012 8:53:57 AM

i have an amd athlon 6420 le, 2.41 GHZ, and i overclock it , i put 250 ,

please help :( ,, my boot temp of my cpu is 51 Celsius , and the idle temp is 66 celsius to 67 celsius, but after gaming, the temp get higher to 74 Celsius, , i have read a forum on the internet that the idle temp is 22 celsius to 40 celsius..

please help .... my pc always restarts, when playing games... :(  :(  :( 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2012 7:25:18 PM

drobinray said:
i have an amd athlon 6420 le, 2.41 GHZ, and i overclock it , i put 250 ,

please help :( ,, my boot temp of my cpu is 51 Celsius , and the idle temp is 66 celsius to 67 celsius, but after gaming, the temp get higher to 74 Celsius, , i have read a forum on the internet that the idle temp is 22 celsius to 40 celsius..

please help .... my pc always restarts, when playing games... :(  :(  :( 

OverHeating CPU... Recommend you either clean out your heatsink and reapply new thermal paste for the most affective cooling... Also, IF you have a stock AMD CPU Cooler and you think it lack of cooling, I highly recommend you buy a aftermarket heat sink because intel, on the other hand, have a crappy heat sink which is crap especially for high end CPU lol...
March 4, 2013 8:28:35 PM

MSI-970A-G46

I have been checking forums on several different sites including Toms Hardware, Overclockers.net, random sites blah blah and what I have noticed is, everyone is trying to push a cheap board to the limit.. My solution to all of you is simple, the time you spend messing around with the board, you could be making extra money and put that toward a High Performance board which can handle it. Now that we have that out of the way, it's time to start overclocking.
Do not be discouraged while trying to overclock this board, you just have to make sure that you don't push it over the edge. I would avoid overclocking the chipset alltogether and souly concentrate on the CPU. For the price of this Mobo, its overclocking capabilities are really not that bad. I had the HT rasied from 2400-2800, the NB raised from 2000-2600 and I started to notice some issues. The voltages I applied were well under the safe air temperature and I will not reveal the safe voltages because as mentioned, I would avoid most overclocking on this board.

For a budget PC, this board is excellent and allows for a really nice CPU overclock. The safe V-Core(Voltage going directly to your cpu) is 1.5V, and I would not go over that on Air cooling. Our CPU of choice for this clock is an AMD FX 6100 95w at 3.3GHz(stock). Unfortunately this particular motherboard is also iffy about changing the FSB which at stock is 200. I was able to hit 250FSB max before I started to notice issues. The computer was rrunning great for three weeks and then it started to fail.
This board hates being overclocked, but it will still allow you to raise the multiplier and the V-core voltage. I pulled off a clock of 4.35GHz at 1.48Volts. My temps were ridiculous using the Corsair H60 cooler, hitting temps of 65 degrees celcius using prime 95. I decided to lower my clock down to 4.2GHz and see what I could lower my voltage too without having to raise Any other voltage. I was able to hit 4.2GHz on 1.33Volts, with temps of 40 degrees celcius using prime95 completely stable with no issues at all.

Conclusion: This is NOT an overclocking board, you can raise the multiplier and CPU V-Core voltage but that is it. For the price of the board, it is excellent all around for gaming, regular use, whatever. Anyone should be satisfied with a CPU clock of 4.0GHz or higher, you will barely notice an increase in performance past that point on most CPUs. The difference between 100-150MHz is an insane boost in Voltage and heat which isn't worth it. Your CPU will perform its best at cooler temperatues so whether you run 4.0GHZ at 38 degrees or 4.4GHz on 50 degrees, the performance level will be minimal or non existent in most applications.

If you are looking for a computer to game, this motherboard is good option for a budget PC. Most of the resource demands fall on your GPU(video card anyway). Buy cheaper parts but make sure you spend good money on your video card if you want excellent visuals. Do NOT waste your time overclocking this board, you will only destroy it.
April 9, 2013 7:30:39 AM

phrosted911 said:
MSI-970A-G46

I have been checking forums on several different sites including Toms Hardware, Overclockers.net, random sites blah blah and what I have noticed is, everyone is trying to push a cheap board to the limit.. My solution to all of you is simple, the time you spend messing around with the board, you could be making extra money and put that toward a High Performance board which can handle it. Now that we have that out of the way, it's time to start overclocking.
Do not be discouraged while trying to overclock this board, you just have to make sure that you don't push it over the edge. I would avoid overclocking the chipset alltogether and souly concentrate on the CPU. For the price of this Mobo, its overclocking capabilities are really not that bad. I had the HT rasied from 2400-2800, the NB raised from 2000-2600 and I started to notice some issues. The voltages I applied were well under the safe air temperature and I will not reveal the safe voltages because as mentioned, I would avoid most overclocking on this board.

For a budget PC, this board is excellent and allows for a really nice CPU overclock. The safe V-Core(Voltage going directly to your cpu) is 1.5V, and I would not go over that on Air cooling. Our CPU of choice for this clock is an AMD FX 6100 95w at 3.3GHz(stock). Unfortunately this particular motherboard is also iffy about changing the FSB which at stock is 200. I was able to hit 250FSB max before I started to notice issues. The computer was rrunning great for three weeks and then it started to fail.
This board hates being overclocked, but it will still allow you to raise the multiplier and the V-core voltage. I pulled off a clock of 4.35GHz at 1.48Volts. My temps were ridiculous using the Corsair H60 cooler, hitting temps of 65 degrees celcius using prime 95. I decided to lower my clock down to 4.2GHz and see what I could lower my voltage too without having to raise Any other voltage. I was able to hit 4.2GHz on 1.33Volts, with temps of 40 degrees celcius using prime95 completely stable with no issues at all.

Conclusion: This is NOT an overclocking board, you can raise the multiplier and CPU V-Core voltage but that is it. For the price of the board, it is excellent all around for gaming, regular use, whatever. Anyone should be satisfied with a CPU clock of 4.0GHz or higher, you will barely notice an increase in performance past that point on most CPUs. The difference between 100-150MHz is an insane boost in Voltage and heat which isn't worth it. Your CPU will perform its best at cooler temperatues so whether you run 4.0GHZ at 38 degrees or 4.4GHz on 50 degrees, the performance level will be minimal or non existent in most applications.

If you are looking for a computer to game, this motherboard is good option for a budget PC. Most of the resource demands fall on your GPU(video card anyway). Buy cheaper parts but make sure you spend good money on your video card if you want excellent visuals. Do NOT waste your time overclocking this board, you will only destroy it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Much appreciation. You've cleared up so many questions that I've had. I wish there were more people on here like you, straight to the point with accurate details to back you up. Like a BOSS
!