Gaming PC under $800 Need help!

exodusg2009

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Hopefully sometime this week

BUDGET RANGE: Under $800 including shipping, before rebates.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Surfing the web

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS (I have a Vista 64bit disk), Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: newegg.com

OVERCLOCKING: possibly sometime in the future

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: possibly sometime in the future as well, if I get some more money. I wanna keep my options open

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Florida, USA

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: 1st time builder here so I'm not sure if the parts I selected go together well. In college so money is pretty tight, hope to build a rig that will last me for a while and play the latest games at a respectable quality. Currently just rocking a laptop.

This is the build sofar:
Edit: Changed Monitor and CPU from suggestions
Edit2: changed keyboard and mouse:

Monitor- ASUS VW193TR Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

Keyboard+mouse- Microsoft AJB-00001S Black USB Wired Basic Value Pack - v2.1

DVD drive- SONY Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B - OEM

HDD- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3320418AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory- A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG - Retail

Video Card- XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

PSU+Case combo- OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFCl + COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.291789

mobo+CPU combo- ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD + AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 (hoping to unlock l3 cache)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.293456

After shipping the total comes out to $787.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

Solution
Looks like a decent build. Personally I would go for an Athlon IIx4 620 and overclock it for the quad core- games are becoming more core optimized especially now with DX11. But the phenom II is also good, plus it would be awesome if you were even just able to unlock one more core.

Someone correct me on this, but I believe core unlocking doesn't work with every motherboard. I would check online to make sure you can do it with this motherboard.

I also noticed you only have VGA connection on that screen- no DVI. Just a note. If you are fine with it then ok.

Other than that looks like you got some good deals on stuff.
Looks like a decent build. Personally I would go for an Athlon IIx4 620 and overclock it for the quad core- games are becoming more core optimized especially now with DX11. But the phenom II is also good, plus it would be awesome if you were even just able to unlock one more core.

Someone correct me on this, but I believe core unlocking doesn't work with every motherboard. I would check online to make sure you can do it with this motherboard.

I also noticed you only have VGA connection on that screen- no DVI. Just a note. If you are fine with it then ok.

Other than that looks like you got some good deals on stuff.

Solution

exodusg2009

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks for the reply enzo. The Athlon IIx4 620 looks like a good alternative but would I need to buy another heatsink to overclock it safely?
I read some of the reviews of the ASUS M4A79XTD and some people have managed to unlock the extra cores so it should be fine.

I believe the hd 5770 comes with a DVI to VGA adapter but from what I've heard there might be a loss of picture quality? Looks like im gonna have to find another monitor.

Salsa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
You could go for these sticks of OCZ that is about 30 dollars less with rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227495 - OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

However, there are enough bad reviews for you to be a bit wary about them. If you want to be safe, go with your current ram.

However, this is a cheaper alternative to what you already have so you can probably invest it elsewhere, like a bigger resolution monitor if you want.

exodusg2009

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

Nah, I dont feel like having to mess around with the bios or with customer support if I get a faulty stick, which the majority of the complaints seem to warn about.

Thanks for the reply though.

TRENDING THREADS