Looking to upgrade graphics card on Dell e510

asdf523

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Im generally pretty happy with my Dell E510 mce computer. It's about 5 years old now and with the advent of blu-ray I'd like to be able to play blu-ray movies on it. Trouble is, when I try to now, my radeon x600 cant handle the load. Blu-ray plays but stalls frequently. I have 2 gb of memory currently. What do I need to upgrade to have blu-ray videos play smoothly? Will more memory do the trick? Or do I need a beefier graphics card? Also the 305 watt psu is a consideration. I can upgrade that but would prefer to not go there if I can get away with an upgrade without doing so. Thanks for any and all advice.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Your e510 has a PIE X-16 slot so uou could use one of the newer, Radeon or Nividia cards which do not require a PCI-E power connector. You have several limitations, the processor is a pentium 4 4XXX or 5XXX series and your power supply is only rated 305 watts as you noted. The maximum memory supported is 4 GB. I would consider doing a complete upgrade or replacement rather invessting any more money you system other than the video card.