Smallest Possible SSD to Boot Windows 7

Charlemagne_3

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hi, my primary hard disk has been acting weird lately, so Im considering moving all my data to my considerably larger secondary drive, and rather than buying a hdd to replace the failing one, I would like to buy a Solid State Drive to boot from.

Does anyone know what the largest the drive needs to me to install windows 7? Can I get away with 8gb or 16gb? Or do I need 32gb? I only want to boot from the drive, all my programs can sit on the other.

Also, I have a Sata 2 motherboard. I want a Sata 3 SSD so that in the future it can be used on a Sata 3 motherboard. Can I use a Sata 3 SSD on Sata 2?

Solution
I have Windows 7 Pro 64 installed on my ssd. After installing all the downloads, patches, and fixes it occupies a little bit over 21GB. Others have reported a little less or a little more. A 32GB ssd is recommended.

A SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd will work with a SATA 2 3Gb/s port on a motherboard. SATA 3 is backwards compatible with SATA 2. However you will experience a performance hit. The SATA 3 ssd will be limited to SATA 2 performance.
I have Windows 7 Pro 64 installed on my ssd. After installing all the downloads, patches, and fixes it occupies a little bit over 21GB. Others have reported a little less or a little more. A 32GB ssd is recommended.

A SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd will work with a SATA 2 3Gb/s port on a motherboard. SATA 3 is backwards compatible with SATA 2. However you will experience a performance hit. The SATA 3 ssd will be limited to SATA 2 performance.

Solution