Sign in with
Your question

Memory upgrade time?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 21, 2010 3:59:12 AM

alright, I've tried for some time now and just cant seem to make this descicion on my own, so i thought I might ask the masses. i just recently built a nbew computer

Raidmax Skyline case with Xlio 256 color lcd case fans
Asus M4A78 plus
And phenom 2x4 955 black(stock clock)
Thermaltake duo-orb cooler
8 gigs ddr2 800
750 gig Sata HD 3 Gb/sec
24x dvdr
8x blu ray player
XFX 577x 1 gb gddr5 (stock clocks)
windows 7x64 home premium

now....my main question is will it be worth the extra money to put together a new build with 6 gb/sec sata and ddr3 Memory standard ro will i see much difference?

I mostly use my computer for home media and gaming, but as I'm not really into fps' so most of the new graffics are not available in the games I do play (dragon age, neverwinter2, burnout paradise) and school

More about : memory upgrade time

a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2010 6:35:40 AM

No. The difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is minimal in terms of real life performance tbh, and a SATA III HDD will not perform that much faster than a SATA II HDD, as it cannot full use the 750MB/s (IIRC) bandwidth which SATA III has to offer. A pair of SandForce-based SSDs in RAID 0 on the other hand will most probably need the bandwidth.
m
l
May 21, 2010 3:25:14 PM

I wouldn't bother upgrading, here's why.
1st - Lmeow is right, The real difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is VERY minimal and not worth the cost. (maybe 5% increase in some programs)

2nd - Since your drive is 750GB I'm assuming it is magnetic disk drive and not an SSD. You will not find a magnetic disk that is faster than the SATA II interface. SATAIII is best used to accomidate extremely fast SSD drives. On this you will see 0% speed increase if you upgrade.

So, like I said, save your money for another day. (OR maybe for an SSD) That would give you a real speed increase!
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2010 12:45:29 AM

jeffinak said:
so then there is essentially no difference between this SATAIII drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and the SATA II hard drive I am using now?

other than storage space and cache? I may be wrong but doesn't the larger cache in itself mean faster read/write times?

It would have been easy to tell if the specs of the Sata 6GB shows the average seek time as the Sata 3GB does. The Sata 3GB says 8.9ms. Now why does newegg does not does not show the average seek time in the 6GB? Probably cause there is no difference.

Western Digital
Series Caviar Black
Model WD1002FAEX
Packaging Bare Drive
Performance
Interface SATA 6.0Gb/s
Capacity 1TB
RPM 7200 RPM
Cache 64MB
Physical Spec
Form Factor 3.5"
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 5 years limited
Labor 5 years limited

Western Digital
Series RE2-GP
Model WD7500AYPS
Packaging Bare Drive
Performance
Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
Capacity 750GB
Cache 16MB
Average Seek Time 8.9ms
Physical Spec
Form Factor 3.5"
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 5 years limited
Labor 5 years limited

But of course the WD Black is better since the cost is the same. But will it affect your PC performance much? I doubt it. I ran 2x500GB WD Black in RAID0 and there is no human perceptible performance gain at all. In benchmark yes.

It will probably be better to spend your money on a good CPU Cooler and Overclock your X4 955. More performance gain and more exciting that way too.
m
l
May 22, 2010 7:44:54 PM

that I know of i do have a pretty decent cpu cooler, thermaltake duo-orb

I did buy the black edition cpu hoping to OC eventually, though I really dont have much idea how to do this, any help would be appreciated

at the current moment performance isnt really much of an issue other than online(which cant be helped until I get a new ISP cause CLEARWIRE SUCKS worse than a fifty cent hooker) I'm really just trying to look forward to when software catches up with our quad core cpu's and 64 bit operating systems
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 1:57:30 AM

Oh sorry, I missed the duo orb in your original post. Yes, that is pretty decent. True also that you don't really have a dire need to OC unless you do it just for the sake of it. But in any case, here is a good guide right at Tom's:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-editi...

It does have a lot of red-lettered warning but don't be discouraged. Overclocking is safer more than ever as long as you follow the guidelines. In fact, your board does have a turbo key feature so OC is even encouraged. Although it is better to do OC using the BIOS but there is no harm in trying out this feature of your motherboard.
http://techwiki.hardwarecanucks.com/product/2MDMwMg/Asu...
m
l
May 23, 2010 6:43:05 AM

Thank you for the help, couple last questions though.

first, how go i go about enabling the turbo key feature with this MoBo?

second, if its neccassary for me to flash my Bios will I lose any data on my hard drive or is this strickly altering the BIOS?

last would going from ddr2 800 to ddr2 1060 give any noticable difference?

again, thanks for all the help, you guys have saved me several hundred bucks(shipping to alaska is horrible)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 6:58:13 AM

You have to check your motherboards manual to do that. According to my quick reading, the turbo key can be tied up to the power button so that when you press it you get the turbo mode.

No need to flash the BIOS if it is working and stable. You only need it if you need to plug in new CPU's which in your case, you don't.

If you mean buy a DDR2 RAM 1060 to replace your DDR2 800? A big no. you can achieve it for free when you overclock.

You live in Alaska? What do you need the duo orb for? Just open the window...
Just Joking... :) 
m
l
May 25, 2010 1:22:17 AM

so apparently my board doesnt support tubo-key, even though the manual says it does,

as for cooling...even with the duo-orb, and 4 120 case fans, and another 80 on the window I still get an avg cpu temp of 46c even though ambient is only 28c with fans on medium settings...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2010 9:54:05 AM

What do you mean it does not support? Did you tried and it did not work even if you followed the intruction in the manual correctly?
m
l
May 26, 2010 12:54:15 AM

I mean the manual says it supports it, but gives no instructions for enebling turbo key, when I try to install the software it stops at 33% every try and tells me the board does not support turbo key
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 11:00:34 AM

Too bad... seems like a good feature to me.

But all is not lost, you can still OC thru the BIOS which is the best place to OC in the first place anyway. Cheers!
m
l
May 26, 2010 6:53:06 PM

true enough, I got a stable 3.8 at stock voltage once i got everything straitened out
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 11:39:03 PM

Well Done! Hope you see the performance upgrade you are looking for.
m
l
!