HDMI from Graphics Card to TV

Flakman2k3

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hey. I'm stuck with not being able to get sound from my PC. I've got the HDMI coming from my Graphics Card going to the HDMI on my TV and I get nothing. I've had a look at the various different playback devices in my Sounds menu, all appear to be 'Working', I've set each as default but I still get nothing. Anyone got any ideas? I've tried searching the net and can't find anything.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-3.html

Is this relevant?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just check a few details of the graphics card. Video cards do not have audio built into them, usually. However, HDMI output connectors certainly are supposed to have audio signals in them. And in the case of ATI cards (but not some others), they added audio signals to unused pins on DVI output connectors (DVI does not normally have audio) just so that you could buy the RIGHT KIND of adapter to "convert" DVI out to HDMI out (including audio). So IF you have such an adapter, is it the right kind, and is your video card one from ATI that has this feature? However, if your output port is a true HDMI in the first place, the adapter question in not relevant.

But one step that may be required in either case is, how do you get audio into the video card? In some cases there is a small cord you must connect from a mobo (or audio card) connector to an input on the video card to get it there. Does your video card need that?