What Cooler would you suggest

jmcrosby24

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I have not added a water cooler yet to my new rig, what would you guys suggest? I would like to OC the CPU slightly but first a cooler!

MOBO: P8Z68-V Pro
CASE: HAF 632
PSU- Corsair 850w
GPU- GTX 580 SLI (2)
RAM: 16 GB A-Data 1600
HD 1: Corsair Force 3 SSD 240gb
HD 2: 1 TB Hitachi HDD

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

well I would go with a custom loop, and build it piece by piece, a little more expensive, but better in the long run.

jmcrosby24

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Not really a budget in mind, Nothing made of gold. Brand new to OC never have done I should have listed Processor Iy 2700k 3.5M thinking of a good 4.0 for OC. Purchased parts and built Rig 3 weeks ago Newegg.... Probably not O/C the GPU'S the 580 SLI'S Stock are doing more then I need them too.

Lutfij

Titan
you could wwet your feet as a newcomer and shoot past the closed loop coolers - go XSPC rasa 750 R@240 Kit, if the cpu is all that'll be in your loop.

you could, but i'd ask you to read the sticky in my sig, will help you understand a good amount of necessary facts about watercooling.

I would have prescribed a closed loop cooler like a corsair, antec or coolit - but they are expensive and are outperformed by good/cheap/top end coolers like a Hyper 212 evo.

* from the sticky you'll learn how much heat your cpu will dump and how much a rad will be able to handle.

hope these help and haven't discouraged you from any path :)

D

Deleted member 217926

Water cooling is completely unnecessary for a Sandy Bridge processor unless you are going for very high clocks 24/7. A budget $30 air cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 + / 212 Evo can get you to ~4.5Ghz very easily and safely. Unless you plan on adding a third GTX 580 you will not need 5Ghz so there is no need for water. Unless you just want to spend more money.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
^ This is correct. Watercooling isn't really necessary on most modern CPUs unless they will be heavily overclocked. GPU temps on the other hand can greatly benefit from watercooling, when done correctly.

Watercooling is much more of a hobby than an actual cooling solution for most people. That being said, I've watercooled for 9+ years and will continue to do so simply because it's addictive, different and performs well for my needs.