E6600 @ 3.3GH (OC)
Tuniq T-120
eVGA 8800GTS 640 mb
G.Skill 2GB DDR2800
WD Raptor 150GB
SB Audigy
OCZ GameXtream 600w
Antec 900

This system is about 2.5 years old. My question is, would I be better off spending ~$500-$750 now for some upgrades or should I wait until then new GPU's come out in 2010 and build a new system (for $2.5k or so)?

I hate how noisy the Raptor is (I hear it above all else) and need more HDD space, so I would probably add a couple WD black 500GB in Raid 0.

If I were to upgrade CPU and/or GPU now, what should I look for that is compatible with this board and would be a noticeable step up?

One issue is I have went through two sets of G. Skill memory, both times each stick was fried. Me and everyone I have had look at it have no clue what the issue is, I suspect the power supply with voltage spikes or something.
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrade wait
  1. New GPUs already came out, ATI has the Dx11 out already and they are very nice cards. You cant really upgrade that board too much, the 775 socket has nothing left to offer after a exxxx. If you do get new HDDs get spinpoint f3s they are cheaper and faster than Blacks.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102857&cm_re=5850-_-14-102-857-_-Product
  2. Well what to upgrade to really depends on what the intended task would be for your future rig ^^
  3. What do you use the PC for?

nd if gaming then what resolution?
  4. shubham1401 said:
    What do you use the PC for?

And if gaming then what resolution?

Purely gaming. I currently use a 22" (1680x1050) but would like to go up to a 23" (1920 x 1080).

It looks like with my 775 board that doesn't support quad cores, a new machine is my best option.
  5. Yes a new machine is your best option.
    There's not much gain in adding parts to an old LGA775 rig.

Though you can add the gfx card for now that'll serve the new rig as well.
  6. wait and update .
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems