Kingston HyperX RAM 1066Mhz.
Zotac GTX260 216 Edition.
Corsair 450W VX Power Supply.
Western Digital Blue 320GB Hard Drive.
Antec 900 Gamers Case.
Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7.
DVD/R Drive.
6 case fans

Im thinking of adding a velociraptor 150GB for OS and another GTX260 in SLI, as well as a 750W corsair PSU. Will it make a lot of difference?

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The power supply won't really make a noticable difference unless there was something wrong with the old one; though I am simply amazed that you can run that machine at 3.4GHz with a 450W PSU. I almost have to assume that was a typo.

I recommend against the Velociraptor. They're overpriced, overhyped, and there are much better alternatives. If you want maximum speed and don't need a lot of storage space, go with a SSD. They're actually not that much more expensive, and will blow away that raptor. If you want a good balance of speed and space, go with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB or 1TB. You could get a couple and set them up in RAID 0 to increase performance nearly 100% per extra drive. Just 2 of them will also blow away a raptor with more space, and a lot less money.

jamespage17

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

I run at 1360x768 but am planning on getting new monitor at 1080p.

jamespage17

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

No it wasnt a typo, but i have had instability issues which is why i need to upgrade, as for the HDD, ill take a look at the recomendations, do you recomend any certain SSD?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Please state all the facts. For a given price point and if space is not an issue the Velociraptor is the best choice. Up to $200 there is no SSD that beats the VR sound and clear. You can get the 150GB VR for $AU165 today and the next SSD that can match its speed/capacity is at $250 and that at 64GB.

Also with RAID0 you get higher burst speeds, which unless you do a lot of video editing or other huge GB data shuffling around there is no point unless you are running a server. For access speeds the VR still beats hands down any 7200RPM drive in whatever RAID you want. I own all those drives, so i know what i am talking about. In general with a VR the system feel a lot more responsive than a normal HD or even the Spinpoints in RAID0.

The SSDs are good replacement for a VR after the $250 value. Anything below is just a waste of money.

It all comes down to money...

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

I usually recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016
If you don't go with this particular one, you'll want to make sure whatever you are looking at has support for TRIM. If you aren't running Windows 7 though, I probably wouldn't recommend any SSD.

darkguset got me thinking, and to be honest, if you are still running XP or Vista, then maybe a raptor isn't such a bad idea. I'd personally rather spend my money on an F3 RAID 0 setup, but that is just my opinion.

jamespage17

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

Well mainly im looking for fast application loading. And why do you not reccomend SSD for vista?, Thanks.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
James, like i said before it comes down to money/performance/capacity needs.
If you do not need any capacity, go for a SSD, they are small but extremely fast. Also like kufan64 said, try to get one with TRIM support. Also my recommendation try to get a model which is 6 months old or younger. Most young SSDs are much better than older ones in general terms.
Now if you want something between speed and capacity a VR is an excellent choice for the price.
Also an SSD should be fine for XP and Vista (althought they do not support TRIM), as long as the manufacturer supports garbage collection on the SSD or has a performance tool utility (usually pain in the ass though).
My configuration is a VR for XP and an SSD for Windows 7 (which both support TRIM).
I could have used them the other way around, but i wanted to use TRIM so only way is for SSD to be on W7.

TRENDING THREADS