Using ram from a broken computer

So a few months ago my home built computer of 6 years blew it's magic blue smoke all over the place leaving me without a computer to rely on. I checked the board to find that warm charred brown that I love so much all over the power connectors and nothing else. Luckily the hard drives survived and a few months later I'm migrating them into a pc that I was able to snag from my girlfriend's mom that doesn't want to bother with computers any more.

Anyways, I'm sure that the drives are fine but I'm wondering if it would be safe to move any of the other hardware to the new system. I'm almost positive the ram wasn't the issue that caused the mobo to fry but I hardly want my new system to fry right after I got it. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how I might physically check my ram for issues before I toss it in my new box to avoid another funeral?
2 answers Last reply
More about using broken computer
  1. If there are no signs of damage to the memory, then give it a try. The worse senario is the system won't boot, will crash or will give other errors. If it boots okay, then downlaod and run Memtest86 to check the ram.
  2. Is it safe to assume you already have checked that the old RAM is the correct type and speed for your "new" system?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt RAM Computer Systems