objects.package update - Nothing sinister, just weird...

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Apparently the cause of the object.package file being updated is
because some of the NPCs are housed there - the Grim Reaper,
Therapist, etc. Whenver they get accessed, they apparently get
memories, and so the objects.package gets re-written.

Weird, but not too sinister. Though potentially problematic if Maxis
wants to patch the objects.package in the traditional method.

O_o

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2004

"Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote:

> Apparently the cause of the object.package file being updated is
> because some of the NPCs are housed there - the Grim Reaper,
> Therapist, etc. Whenver they get accessed, they apparently get
> memories, and so the objects.package gets re-written.
>
> Weird, but not too sinister. Though potentially problematic if Maxis
> wants to patch the objects.package in the traditional method.

Mine had changed, too. My objects.package was dated November 1 (which was
when I was testing the "bad-ass-fire" mod I did. I test-killed a few sims
doing that.

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> Apparently the cause of the object.package file being updated is
> because some of the NPCs are housed there - the Grim Reaper,
> Therapist, etc. Whenver they get accessed, they apparently get
> memories, and so the objects.package gets re-written.
>
> Weird, but not too sinister. Though potentially problematic if Maxis
> wants to patch the objects.package in the traditional method.

That's a relief, I was getting a bit paranoid there.lol thanks for posting.

--
----Sandra
Someday, we'll look back on this,

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 04:01:30 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com>
wrote:

:>Apparently the cause of the object.package file being updated is
:>because some of the NPCs are housed there - the Grim Reaper,
:>Therapist, etc. Whenver they get accessed, they apparently get
:>memories, and so the objects.package gets re-written.
:>
:>Weird, but not too sinister. Though potentially problematic if Maxis
:>wants to patch the objects.package in the traditional method.
:>

I also am pretty sure I discovered another thing that causes that file to be
modified. I've only given this a quickie test but it seems to be true. If
you create a new Sim from within the program (not the separate Body Shop
program) their data appears to be also written into that file. The last
time the file was modified on my Sims installation was the 4th of October
which is when I created the Sim I've been "playing" since then. Also,
scanning that file with a viewer program I find the name of my Sim in there
a couple of times. I've never had visits from the Grim Reaper or Therapist
but I have "woohoo'd" 5 female "service people" since that date (gardener,
bartender, maid, grocery person and mail person) and I would hope they
"remember" it <GRIN>. I picked up a bunch of aspiration points when I
reached number 5 of the "service people". I got a bunch more when my "Lusty
Lover" reached a total of 20 different "woohoo's". :)

me/2

PS: Hmm, I just had another thought. I wonder if that file also gets
modified whenever a new Sim is born? That would be consistent with the
theory it gets modifed whenever the player creates a new Sim.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:44:51 GMT, me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:

:>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 04:01:30 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com>
:>wrote:
:>
:>:>Apparently the cause of the object.package file being updated is
:>:>because some of the NPCs are housed there - the Grim Reaper,
:>:>Therapist, etc. Whenver they get accessed, they apparently get
:>:>memories, and so the objects.package gets re-written.
:>:>
[...]

Adding to that last thought, maybe the file also gets modified when a
Sim dies. It does appear that the physical characteristics of all of
the currently active Sims are stored there. Going to have to do some
testing this weekend after making a backup of that file as it
currently stands.

me/2

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 02:44:31 GMT, "hangover_girl"
<hangovergirl@dodo.com.au> wrote:

:>"me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
:>news:rghap0luinevjvi7ksdihbqrvsd2kr2lqa@4ax.com...
:>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 04:01:30 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com>
:>> wrote:
:>>
:>> :>Apparently the cause of the object.package file being updated is
:>> :>because some of the NPCs are housed there - the Grim Reaper,
:>> :>Therapist, etc. Whenver they get accessed, they apparently get
:>> :>memories, and so the objects.package gets re-written.
:>> :>
[...]
:>Yeah, but this is where I can slam both these theories outta the water, I
:>create sims both in body shop and within the game, every few days... I've
:>had quite a few babies born, and mine still says 18th September. I have
:>hardly ever played whilst being online though, so I'm wondering if this is
:>it. I disconnect as my silly virus program would update and my CPU wasn't
:>coping with it. So I always go offline now before I play..... another
:>theory?
:>
:>~ jo
:>
:>http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
:>

Well, just to confuse the issue, other than a few exceptions all of
the original unmodified games files should be dated 8/17/04 (at least
when installed from the US DVD version). There are a few files dated
8/18/04, mostly thumbnail packages. This means that your
"objects.package" file has been modified at least once from the
original.

Also as I had noted in another message my "objects.package" file is
dated 10/5/04 and I've always had an active net connection on the
computer I play the Sims on. The fact that I found the name of my one
and only created Sim while scanning the file really adds to the
confusion here.

I did discover one other file that has been obviously modified from
the original. Check "The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Text\Wants.package". On
mine that file is dated 9/21/04 which is the date I installed the game
based on the time/date stamps on all of the directories. The date is
the same but the time stamp on that file indicates it was modified
about an hour after I installed the game. I did run the game almost
immediately after finishing the install.

me/2

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 04:32:38 GMT, "hangover_girl"

:>news:ttuap0972dp6q9d28k6uij01g73s41v3oa@4ax.com...
:>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 02:44:31 GMT, "hangover_girl"
:>> <hangovergirl@dodo.com.au> wrote:
:>>
:>> :>"me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
:>> :>news:rghap0luinevjvi7ksdihbqrvsd2kr2lqa@4ax.com...
:>> :>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 04:01:30 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban"
:>> <jer@connectria.com>
:>> :>> wrote:
:>> :>>
:>> :>> :>Apparently the cause of the object.package file being updated is
:>> :>> :>because some of the NPCs are housed there - the Grim Reaper,
:>> :>> :>Therapist, etc. Whenver they get accessed, they apparently get
:>> :>> :>memories, and so the objects.package gets re-written.
:>> :>> :>
[...]
:>Mine says 18th of August there!! lol... and mine is the Australian DVD
:>version whether the date makes a difference.... arrghhh... confusing!
:>
:>~ jo
:>
:>http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
:>

Hmmm, interesting. In addition to the "full size" computer I've got
the Sims 2 installed on I also own another "full size" computer plus a
"laptop computer" (Toshiba 5205 with a 2.2GHZ Mobile P4, a Gigabyte of
RAM and a 64MB Nvidia Geforce 4 460 Go video card) that are both more
than capable of running the game. If I get time I may install the
Sims 2 on one of them. And then only run the game while disconnected
from the net and only play the included families and houses with no
additional downloads. That way I can check each time I quit the game
to see if I can figure out what triggers those files to be modified.
This has now become a challenge <GRIN>.

me/2