Sign in with
Your question

Internet Usage Monitoring

Last response: in Networking
November 20, 2009 2:18:33 AM

Ok I was wanting to know to know if anyone knew of a program I could install that would monitor how much internet I am using? I'm using my parents internet and they keep blaming me when we go over the download cap. If someone had a program or something I could install so I can see exactly how much I use that would be great.

Oh by the way they connect to the wireless modem by ethernet and my pc connects via wireless.

Ps im not sure if this is the right category but i couldnt see anything more relevant....
November 20, 2009 11:52:38 AM

Google for a free Network Monitor. I'm not sure if there is anything out there saying how much data you've accumlated or downloaded. You'd have to go through records to see that over a time metric.

I can say that if you're downloading music, files, games, videos, or streaming music/video, you're using a ton of your allotted download limit.
m
l
November 27, 2009 1:58:22 AM

Yeah thats the thing. My dad views a lot of videos and streams music online but I play a lot of online games. So just trying to work out whos using the most. Thanks for the answer ill have a look around.

Curse these New Zealand bandwith constraints!!!
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2009 1:40:32 PM

Gravitational24 said:
Yeah thats the thing. My dad views a lot of videos and streams music online but I play a lot of online games. So just trying to work out whos using the most. Thanks for the answer ill have a look around.

Your game could also be doing it. Depending on the game you're playing, it could be transferring a lot of data. Generally, like a FPS game ... COD4 or so, doesn't transfer all that much at a time. The reason the game can be fast is because the limited amount of data being transferred. On the other hand that starts racking up quickly if you keep playing for a while. 2 hours could make it a lot of data.

Come to think of it, you could set up a performance monitor on the PC to track network utilization and other things. Check into performance monitoring on the network. Its built into Windows under System in Control Panel. Or right-click My Computer, go to Manage.
m
l
December 1, 2009 2:26:53 PM

Gravitational24 said:

Gravitational24,
Ubuntu has some stuff built in and other things you can add. Check this out

Just be careful of what you search for on the wire in your LAN. I have been a Network Administrator for over 10 years, and sometimes I have seen things I just wish I could erase from my memory. :ouch:  You might want to bring this up with your folks first. If someone objects heavily, they might have a good reason.

Ubuntu also has a cool utility I use called iftop and it will let you know bandwidth usage only, not where someone is going.
m
l
!