AMD works with games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrenG

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
My dad thinks that AMD processors will not work with my games for whatever stupid reason, is this true? He told me tales of someone being pissed off because their game wouldn't run (would crash) on a machine with an AMD processor. I'm planning on running an AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz on an ASRock M3A770DE AM3 motherboard, with Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 and a SAPPHIRE 100296HDMI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3.

I'm planning on Running Source engine games (hl2, cs:s gmod, dod:s) and Golden Source Games (hl, hl:eek:p, hl:bs, cs 1.6, dod) and Doom 3 at the highest resolution possible.

OrenG

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Well thanks for you input, I need more than one person to have evidence though. My father thinks because games are rushed, that they will not work on an AMD processor for whatever reason.

They games work just as well on AMD systems as they do intel.

The reason why in the old days some games crash is because some amd cpu either had stability or heat issues. (i forget which one it was. although i had that problems before. Think it was athlon xp i was on before i switched to intel Prescott p4.)

Although today, AMD cpus are just as stable as intel cpus. If a game going to run bad on AMD system, it will run bad on an intel system and vice versa.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
ive never heard so much tosh in all my life...

99.99 % of software works on AMD,, I have had only one title ( which was not a game btw - it was a structual engineering package software protection system ) which did not work on a AMD based machine which has an nvidia nforce 4 chpset.

Tell them their un educated and AMD run software and games as good as Intel.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah.... dads are stuck in the past and/or think they know more than they do.

Lol my friend's dad was sooo sure that DDR meant dual channel. He really is a smart guy and I was young then so I didn't want to prove him wrong and make him feel like an idiot.

At least you get to do it to your dad. :)

Lol I bet now since tripple channel is out he thinks that is what DDR3 means. *sigh

But yeah, AMD works in games just as good as intel does. Even the old Athlons.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
About 15 years ago, games were programmed in assembly language (or at least with assembly-optimized subroutines). They made calls to the hardware directly, which in some cases, caused some compatibility issues. One example: even though both AMD and Intel are both x86 chips, Intel used some multimedia extensions called MMX, while AMD used 3D-Now - so a program calling a MMX-specific instruction could crash on a system using 3D-Now. This happened very infrequently, and was probably the result of not being tested on more than one platform.

Nowdays, nobody calls on the hardware directly. The operating system (in your case, Windows) makes all of the hardware access. So, if a program wants to draw a box on the screen, it tells Windows what size, color and location of the box, and Windows calls on the hardware to do it. As far as the program is concerned, it doesn't know or care if you are running Intel, AMD, VIA or anything else - as long as it's running Windows.

Most compatibility problems with any hardware device can be fixed with a driver update.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Actually, I suspect that it was at least as much due to crappy chipsets: back when I was writing Windows drivers, probably 90+% of reported game crashes caused by hardware (as opposed to software bugs) were on AMD systems with third-party chipsets which weren't driving the bus correctly. It was so bad that when when I saw a bug reported on an AMD system which we'd never seen on Intel my first expectation was that it was probably the chipset rather than the driver.

those are old cpus (like pre 2005) and thats taking off the HSF.

Current Amd cpus act much just like intel cpu when they get to hot. they throttle down to protect them selfs.

As for hot, im pretty sure my Prescott P4 is hotter than any amd cpu been made. :p if i were to return my cpu up to stock settings 2.8 ghz at 1.38V i'd be idling around 55c. (right now at 2.67ghz 1.28V with idling at 37c to 40c). yes im on stock cooler.

theres a reason why people called intels prescott "Presshot"

loneninja

Distinguished
AMD processors run games just fine, I've never gamed on an Intel system and all my games have always ran fine on AMD.

LMAO at using a 9 year old video featuring processors from several generations ago.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

Dude, and you call yourself techpro? Switch to techwannabe.

Those cpus are from 2000\2001 at most. What are you trying to prove? Intel has good cpus, and so did amd back then (and so it does today), actually cpus from that era were better than intels for most gaming did you know?
Intel only surpassed amd with core2duo and i7. They're both great cpu makers, both 100% compatible with gaming.

Only amd thunderbirds and durons lacked the SSE instruction which itself would make some games and apps to crash, like doom3 i think.

Next time you decide to prove your point with a 9 years old video with outdated hardware think twice, or you will make youself look bad.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I have been pretty much an Intel guy for all my main PC's for quite a few years. I have had about a half dozen AMD setups over the years but mostly Intel for my primary. My 1st AMD was a K6 200 then 233 and they played games fine but were slower than the comparable Intel I had 200 non-mmx and 233 in games but were just as stable mainly because all were on Intel HX or TX chipsets. I saw a review of a FIC MB which had 1mb onboard cache (ALI chipset I think) that was supposed to be the hot thing but it was just plain unstable.

My next AMD was a K7 1200 with a VIA chipset that I had built for my son's boss at the time, but I couldn't get it stable in games so I gave him p3 that I clocked at 1050. After a few months I finally got it stable after I found a setting in wpcrset that finally brought stability to the system. That problem had nothing to do with the AMD chip it was a problem between the chipset, bios or actual MB. That system for a month or two was the fastest or second fastest AMD system on the 3DMarl01 orb Cathar had the one that that had the other place since we were the only AMD setups on the first page of results.

Since then I have had a couple SFF Bartons and a couple others I don't remember. But what I am trying to say is that basically all the stability problems with AMD have actually been MB/chipset related and are a thing of the distant past.

While AMD might not be the fastest when money isn't a concern they are a very good value at pretty much any price point and the stability would like usual come down to the MB and bios or possible driver conflicts which are the same problems you can run into with Intel setups. While Intel setups with Intel chipsets may have fewer and those on Nvidia chipsets may have more it is still the supporting hardware that defines the stability, not the brand of CPU.

Also with the video card you have picked that system you show would play game about as well as my OC'd i7 because the card will be the slowest piece in the system.

Complete and utter nonsense. I have been gaming with AMD processors for 15 years and never had, nor never heard of anyone having problems simply because the processor was an AMD processor. For gaming especially, the new Phenoms will hold their own against even the i7 processors clock for clock.
Tell your dad I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale cheap if he is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.