Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My PC Wouldnt start up? Unstable 2500k OC?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 12, 2012 3:00:28 AM

So i just built a new PC. Here are the specs..

Case - Antec 902
CPU - 2500k (OC'd to 4.3 at 1.240V or so, but stays perfectly cool and have ran lots of tests on Prime95)
CPU Cooler - Hyper 212+
MOBO - AsRock Extreme3 Gen3
Graphics Card - XFX Double Dissipation 6870 (OC'd just a little, but stays perfectly cool and have done burn tests)
RAM - Gskill Low Voltage Sniper Series 8GB
PSU - Corsair Gaming Series 600
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM

When I first hooked up my computer it ran perfectly fine. Everything worked great, and there was no problems. But here is how the problem started..

Now, this happens every now and then. Its wierd because this will happen for like 20 minutes straight to where i cant get my computer started and once it starts up it wont do it again for like 2 or 3 weeks. Well anyways, my computer will randomly (not very often just once in awhile) not start up. Well my whole PC will start up, but my monitor will say "No Signal" and nothing will show up on my screen but windows loads and everything because i can hear the sound through my headset.

Then ive tried restarting it, turning off MOBO and back on, unplugging PSU for a bit and plugging it back in and rebooting, and none of it works. EXCEPT!.. the only thing that will work is if i hit the "Reset CMOS" on the back of the MOBO. This will then reset the CPU Settings back to default instead of 4.3 OC on my 2500k, and i can boot up. I can even set the settings back to a 4.3 OC and it will boot, but then when i tried to restart again it wouldnt boot again, so now i just have it running at default settings.

So my question is.. does this sound like my PC wont start up once in awhile because of the OC and it isnt fully stable?

Here is ALL OF THE SAME SETTINGS I USED FOR MY 4.3 OVERCLOCK - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270885-29-asrock-extr...

If i need to, what should i change in these settings to make my 2500k OC at 4.3 more stable? (im newer to OCing)

If it is doing this "No Signal" thing cuz of another reason, please let me know!

thanks!

EDIT: I restarted my PC after setting the BIOS back to default (3.3 or whatever) and it still did the same thing. The PC started up but the monitor just said "No Signal" and wouldnt show anything. Also i know its not the monitors or cord cuz ive tried different monitors on it and it does the same thing. What is the problem!?! :fou: 

More about : wouldnt start unstable 2500k

April 12, 2012 3:19:31 AM

Loose GPU connector?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2012 4:16:08 AM

ren3gade said:
So i just built a new PC. Here are the specs..

Case - Antec 902
CPU - 2500k (OC'd to 4.3 at 1.240V or so, but stays perfectly cool and have ran lots of tests on Prime95)
CPU Cooler - Hyper 212+
MOBO - AsRock Extreme3 Gen3
Graphics Card - XFX Double Dissipation 6870 (OC'd just a little, but stays perfectly cool and have done burn tests)
RAM - Gskill Low Voltage Sniper Series 8GB
PSU - Corsair Gaming Series 600
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM

When I first hooked up my computer it ran perfectly fine. Everything worked great, and there was no problems. But here is how the problem started..

Now, this happens every now and then. Its wierd because this will happen for like 20 minutes straight to where i cant get my computer started and once it starts up it wont do it again for like 2 or 3 weeks. Well anyways, my computer will randomly (not very often just once in awhile) not start up. Well my whole PC will start up, but my monitor will say "No Signal" and nothing will show up on my screen but windows loads and everything because i can hear the sound through my headset.

Then ive tried restarting it, turning off MOBO and back on, unplugging PSU for a bit and plugging it back in and rebooting, and none of it works. EXCEPT!.. the only thing that will work is if i hit the "Reset CMOS" on the back of the MOBO. This will then reset the CPU Settings back to default instead of 4.3 OC on my 2500k, and i can boot up. I can even set the settings back to a 4.3 OC and it will boot, but then when i tried to restart again it wouldnt boot again, so now i just have it running at default settings.

So my question is.. does this sound like my PC wont start up once in awhile because of the OC and it isnt fully stable?

Here is ALL OF THE SAME SETTINGS I USED FOR MY 4.3 OVERCLOCK - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270885-29-asrock-extr...

If i need to, what should i change in these settings to make my 2500k OC at 4.3 more stable? (im newer to OCing)

If it is doing this "No Signal" thing cuz of another reason, please let me know!

thanks!

EDIT: I restarted my PC after setting the BIOS back to default (3.3 or whatever) and it still did the same thing. The PC started up but the monitor just said "No Signal" and wouldnt show anything. Also i know its not the monitors or cord cuz ive tried different monitors on it and it does the same thing. What is the problem!?! :fou: 



Ok, we both have the same MOBO and CPU, so try this:
this is a 4.5ghz setting 100% stable.

*Clear your CMOS first.*

CPU Multiplier x45
BCLK: 100mhz
Short and Long duration: 230/200.
core current limit 200
Vcore: OFFSET mode +0.020Volts
Load line calibration: LEVEL 4
Spread spectrum disabled
SpeedStep: on

Everything else leave auto.

max temps i get is 58C...H80 cooler. With a Hyper 212 expect mid 60s

Everyone has a different 2500k, so test the voltage first. You might need higher or lower, but this is what worked successfully for me.

With ur monitor display, try take the DVI connector and plug it into your motherboards IO shield, if you currently have it plugged into ur GPU, or vice versa.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 2:44:06 PM

constepatdyak said:
Ok, we both have the same MOBO and CPU, so try this:
this is a 4.5ghz setting 100% stable.

*Clear your CMOS first.*

CPU Multiplier x45
BCLK: 100mhz
Short and Long duration: 230/200.
core current limit 200
Vcore: OFFSET mode +0.020Volts
Load line calibration: LEVEL 4
Spread spectrum disabled
SpeedStep: on

Everything else leave auto.

max temps i get is 58C...H80 cooler. With a Hyper 212 expect mid 60s

Everyone has a different 2500k, so test the voltage first. You might need higher or lower, but this is what worked successfully for me.

With ur monitor display, try take the DVI connector and plug it into your motherboards IO shield, if you currently have it plugged into ur GPU, or vice versa.


Alright thanks man. This should help me! Once i get home ill try this.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 2:57:37 PM

This sounds like more of a GPU problem. Since your computer actually does start up, that indicates no problems with your cpu. This might be something with your pcie slots, so try swapping the card to your other slot (won't affect performance) and see if that works. Also, if you only have one monitor, see if you can swap your cable to another slot.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2012 3:04:38 PM

as others have said: yer making it into windows, its not your cpu oc.

somethign to do with your graphics card.

m
0
l
April 12, 2012 3:52:29 PM

Yeah, probably either the gpu or the pci.e slot,but could be the igpu on processor graphics if using virtu graphics.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but try plugging your monitor to the board instead of your gpu. If it starts up it wont guarantee anything because it starts up with the gpu as well ,sometimes. It will take time. Leave it plugged to your board for enough time to be sure that the problem either still happens or not. If it still happens, then probably an issue with your processor or board, If it doesn't happen, probably an issue with your gpu or pci.e slot.

Also another thing to concider is. Do you have Virtu graphix enabled? If so, then when your pc boots up, it should not be using your discrete gpu for graphics, but should be defaulting to your igpu(on processor) graphics. It could be that the graphics circuitry in your chip is bad. Try disabling virtue graphics in your bios and see if the problem persists. Also your board has, in the eufi bios, options to either let the igpu oc as well as the rest of the chip, or not. You may have a igpu that is finicky to the extra power and you can set that to off as well

If you try these things and decide it is probably your discrete card or your slot, then if you have access to another card try using it for a while. If it does the same thing, then it is probably the slot. Then try the other slot like mentioned above.

Either way, whatever you decide in the end, I would take advantage of any warrantee you may still have on the component wether cpu,mobo,or gpu, that turns out to be the problem.

Good luck...
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 12, 2012 6:56:12 PM

Are these the memory modules your are running?

You said in the OP >
Quote:
Here is ALL OF THE SAME SETTINGS I USED FOR MY 4.3 OVERCLOCK - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] table-3ghz
which shows a DRAM voltage of 1.499v it should be 1.25v.

You bought Ultra Low Voltage memory it has to run at 1.25v using 9,9,9,24 and you need to manually set those.

You have other settings problems too, but you need to resolve that first, if what you indicated in the quote are the settings you are actually running?
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 10:42:16 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Are these the memory modules your are running?

You said in the OP >
Quote:
Here is ALL OF THE SAME SETTINGS I USED FOR MY 4.3 OVERCLOCK - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] table-3ghz
which shows a DRAM voltage of 1.499v it should be 1.25v.

You bought Ultra Low Voltage memory it has to run at 1.25v using 9,9,9,24 and you need to manually set those.

You have other settings problems too, but you need to resolve that first, if what you indicated in the quote are the settings you are actually running?


Yes those are the settings that i was running. And i didnt realize i have to set my DRAM Voltage lower since i have the Low Voltage ram.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 11:13:06 PM

donlev said:
Yeah, probably either the gpu or the pci.e slot,but could be the igpu on processor graphics if using virtu graphics.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but try plugging your monitor to the board instead of your gpu. If it starts up it wont guarantee anything because it starts up with the gpu as well ,sometimes. It will take time. Leave it plugged to your board for enough time to be sure that the problem either still happens or not. If it still happens, then probably an issue with your processor or board, If it doesn't happen, probably an issue with your gpu or pci.e slot.

Also another thing to concider is. Do you have Virtu graphix enabled? If so, then when your pc boots up, it should not be using your discrete gpu for graphics, but should be defaulting to your igpu(on processor) graphics. It could be that the graphics circuitry in your chip is bad. Try disabling virtue graphics in your bios and see if the problem persists. Also your board has, in the eufi bios, options to either let the igpu oc as well as the rest of the chip, or not. You may have a igpu that is finicky to the extra power and you can set that to off as well

If you try these things and decide it is probably your discrete card or your slot, then if you have access to another card try using it for a while. If it does the same thing, then it is probably the slot. Then try the other slot like mentioned above.

Either way, whatever you decide in the end, I would take advantage of any warrantee you may still have on the component wether cpu,mobo,or gpu, that turns out to be the problem.

Good luck...


Thank you for this. My monitor did it again where it said "No Signal" ... So i swapped the monitor cord to the motherboard plugin for my monitor instead of into my GPU and the screen worked! What does this tell me? what should i do?
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 11:26:12 PM

ren3gade said:
Thank you for this. My monitor did it again where it said "No Signal" ... So i swapped the monitor cord to the motherboard plugin for my monitor instead of into my GPU and the screen worked! What does this tell me? what should i do?


Chances are that either your gpu or pci.e slot are bad or have faulty connection. Like I said before, you want to leave it plugged in to your board for long enough to be sure that it doesn't happen there as well.

If after a day or so and restarting your pc frequently, you have no issues, then it is gpu or slot. Check connections and make sure gpu is seated firmly and that 6 pin power plug is secure on both ends and try your gpu again... If it messes up again, the only way I know to check the slot is to try another gpu. If another gpu does the same thing, it is probably the slot.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 11:56:09 PM

donlev said:
Chances are that either your gpu or pci.e slot are bad or have faulty connection. Like I said before, you want to leave it plugged in to your board for long enough to be sure that it doesn't happen there as well.

If after a day or so and restarting your pc frequently, you have no issues, then it is gpu or slot. Check connections and make sure gpu is seated firmly and that 6 pin power plug is secure on both ends and try your gpu again... If it messes up again, the only way I know to check the slot is to try another gpu. If another gpu does the same thing, it is probably the slot.


Well i plugged my GPU into the bottom PCI Slot, and its working fine for now. I will post updates here if it happens still or not.
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 2:31:11 AM

Yeah, if it keeps working fine, then you have a bad slot #1. Asrock is getting famous for bad slots, either pci.e or dimm slots. I have heard allot of both.
I have also heard these are killer boards when everything works well.

As a matter of fact, I am building a system with a used extreme3\gen3 just like you have, just because I got the board from a guy for 25 bucks and he said it all worked...(pre tested) as far as I am concerned. It feels safer to me than buying a new one and taking the chance of an rma.

I will be using an bitfenix survivor case, and an ocz 750w psu, an i5 2500k, 8gb patriot 1600,128gb ocz vertex3 ssd, western digital caviar blue 500gb sataIII hdd and win7 home prem 64b, and an asus engtx 560ti dc II. I am not sure what cpu cooler to use yet. I have an coolermaster v8 on my asus maximus board and it idles @ 19-22c. I just want something different for my portable pc.

I guess I will get a chance to see how that asrock board does...
I have purchased most of the parts used, Got the case from ncix for $79(on sale right now) and the ssd from ncix as well on sale too. All together I will have about $550-$600 invested and if all goes well a z68 with gen3 capability. Not to bad... No way to do that new...

If I were you, I would send that board back for warrantee and keep doing so until they get it right. Assuming you find that it is the slot. Its a pain in the butt but you should get a working board as advertised. Thats why I like to keep a back up pc. I actually have about three working and another being built. I sell them now and then tho..
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 1:56:09 PM

donlev said:
Yeah, if it keeps working fine, then you have a bad slot #1. Asrock is getting famous for bad slots, either pci.e or dimm slots. I have heard allot of both.
I have also heard these are killer boards when everything works well.

As a matter of fact, I am building a system with a used extreme3\gen3 just like you have, just because I got the board from a guy for 25 bucks and he said it all worked...(pre tested) as far as I am concerned. It feels safer to me than buying a new one and taking the chance of an rma.

I will be using an bitfenix survivor case, and an ocz 750w psu, an i5 2500k, 8gb patriot 1600,128gb ocz vertex3 ssd, western digital caviar blue 500gb sataIII hdd and win7 home prem 64b, and an asus engtx 560ti dc II. I am not sure what cpu cooler to use yet. I have an coolermaster v8 on my asus maximus board and it idles @ 19-22c. I just want something different for my portable pc.

I guess I will get a chance to see how that asrock board does...
I have purchased most of the parts used, Got the case from ncix for $79(on sale right now) and the ssd from ncix as well on sale too. All together I will have about $550-$600 invested and if all goes well a z68 with gen3 capability. Not to bad... No way to do that new...

If I were you, I would send that board back for warrantee and keep doing so until they get it right. Assuming you find that it is the slot. Its a pain in the butt but you should get a working board as advertised. Thats why I like to keep a back up pc. I actually have about three working and another being built. I sell them now and then tho..


Nice nice, and alright. I do have a backup PC.. thank god :) 

And how should i go about RMA'ing something? I sent an email to ASRocks Support but they sent me back with instructions to do a bunch of stuff on the motherboard to check the "Beep Code"? Or something like that? They want my to unplug everything except CPU and cooler and plug in certain cords and listen for how many times it beeps. Ive never done that before? Do I RMA it to ASRock?

Thanks for the help man! Oh also.. what other MOBOs do you know of that are very reliable and good? (Just for future builds)
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 7:29:57 PM

So angry... I totally suggested to swap the card to a different slot first.
Burn! all of you!
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 8:25:18 PM

ren3gade said:
Nice nice, and alright. I do have a backup PC.. thank god :) 

And how should i go about RMA'ing something? I sent an email to ASRocks Support but they sent me back with instructions to do a bunch of stuff on the motherboard to check the "Beep Code"? Or something like that? They want my to unplug everything except CPU and cooler and plug in certain cords and listen for how many times it beeps. Ive never done that before? Do I RMA it to ASRock?

Thanks for the help man! Oh also.. what other MOBOs do you know of that are very reliable and good? (Just for future builds)


You should rma through your vendor(newegg,amazon,retail store etc.) Contact them with invoice and or reciept handy so you can give purchase dates and invoice #s etc... they will tell you where to ship the board and what is required. Ultimately it is asrock that has the board warrantied and they will be the ones to send yours back. You will need your purchase paperwork that I mentioned.

As far as what boards to pick.. I always like Asus above all others followed by Msi and then Gigabyte...

Z68 is still good choice as long as gen3 and now there are z77 boards. Probably the best to get but haven't been out long to prove reliable and bug free.
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 8:28:01 PM

stingstang said:
So angry... I totally suggested to swap the card to a different slot first.
Burn! all of you!



And was good advice to help narrow down the problem. You did say it first....

It doesn't fix the problem tho...lol
I would rma in case I wanted to sli or cr\fire later.
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 2:38:28 AM

donlev said:
And was good advice to help narrow down the problem. You did say it first....

It doesn't fix the problem tho...lol
I would rma in case I wanted to sli or cr\fire later.


How do i go about RMAing it?
m
0
l
!