Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

E5200 3.83 ghz and Radeon 5770

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 31, 2010 4:52:18 PM

Is an E5200 OC 3.83 Ghz(333x11.5) fast enough not to bottleneck a Radeon 5770 in 1280x1024 with AA and AF ?

More about : e5200 ghz radeon 5770

a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 5:32:51 PM

Probably not. More than likely you're gonna need 1.45v or more to push your E5200 that hard and you'll also need a very good cooler.

If you already have this combo, run Task Manager, play your 3d game for about 15 minutes, then go back to Task Manager and check CPU usage history. If both cores are less than 70% or even less, that could mean it's waiting for the GPU.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 6:09:48 PM

A stock E6300 @ 2.8GHz (basically a E5200 OCed by 300MHz) marginally bottlenecks a ATI 4890 according to Tomshardware's building a balanced PC. A 5770 is equal to a 4870, so a E5200 at stock would only bottleneck a 4870/5770 by a small amount, depending on the game.

An overclocked E5200 at 3.83GHz would have no problem with a 4870 or 5770 or even a 4890 for that matter.
Related resources
January 31, 2010 7:12:59 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Probably not. More than likely you're gonna need 1.45v or more to push your E5200 that hard and you'll also need a very good cooler.

If you already have this combo, run Task Manager, play your 3d game for about 15 minutes, then go back to Task Manager and check CPU usage history. If both cores are less than 70% or even less, that could mean it's waiting for the GPU.


The CPU it's fully stable at 3.83 with 1.32-1.34V(tested with Intel burn test which makes the CPU run hotter than Prime 95.)f I have a Zalman CNPS-9990
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 8:02:31 PM

Yeah your not gonna see any kind of bottleneck with that kind of overclock. Enjoy.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 8:06:56 PM

Wow. Nice OC job. What are the temps with the Intel burn test and what is mobo make/model?
January 31, 2010 10:30:18 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Wow. Nice OC job. What are the temps with the Intel burn test and what is mobo make/model?


The highest temperatures at 3.83ghz(11.5x333) were 65-66 degrees Celsius for the CPU and 70-72 C for the cores with the cooler running at full speed. I ran Intel burn test 15 times(the minimum recommended is 5 and the maximum 20) on maximum stress.It took 1 hour. In games like Saboteur the top temperatures were 15 degrees lower while I was fighting the enemy, trowing grenades , bombs and cars were exploding around.
At 1.28V and 3.83 ghz the CPU was running cooler but failed the 3rd test.Told me the CPU is unstable.
Intel burn test gives you faster and more accurate results than Prime 95. In Prime 95 the temperatures were 10 degrees lower while the cooler wasn't running at full speed.I didn't OC the memory
The motherboard is an Abit IP35P
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2010 1:41:55 AM

Wow that's very hot...way too hot for a dual core actually. Are you using the stock cooler?

I have an E5300 OCed to 3.6GHz with a cheap $12 thermaltake cooler, and my CPU idles at 30'C and doesn't exceed 53'C for the cores.

70'C temps for the cores are fine for quads, but I don't think duals are suppose to go nearly that high.
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2010 3:34:46 AM

mafi said:
The highest temperatures at 3.83ghz(11.5x333) were 65-66 degrees Celsius for the CPU and 70-72 C for the cores with the cooler running at full speed. I ran Intel burn test 15 times(the minimum recommended is 5 and the maximum 20) on maximum stress.It took 1 hour. In games like Saboteur the top temperatures were 15 degrees lower while I was fighting the enemy, trowing grenades , bombs and cars were exploding around.
At 1.28V and 3.83 ghz the CPU was running cooler but failed the 3rd test.Told me the CPU is unstable.
Intel burn test gives you faster and more accurate results than Prime 95. In Prime 95 the temperatures were 10 degrees lower while the cooler wasn't running at full speed.I didn't OC the memory
The motherboard is an Abit IP35P


Well you certainly know what you're doing and careful enough to monitor your temps (which are too high for me to be comfortable with). For a budget CPU like the E5200, you definitely added value and get the most out of it. In Saboteur game, what does the chart show in CPU usage history? Are both CPU cores working closer to 100% or closer to 50%. or is one core at 100% and one core at 50% which is what I get with CoD4 (E8400 @3.6 Ghz and GTX 260).


February 1, 2010 11:19:39 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
Wow that's very hot...way too hot for a dual core actually. Are you using the stock cooler?

I have an E5300 OCed to 3.6GHz with a cheap $12 thermaltake cooler, and my CPU idles at 30'C and doesn't exceed 53'C for the cores.

70'C temps for the cores are fine for quads, but I don't think duals are suppose to go nearly that high.




Do you get 53 C in Intel Burn Test? That's impossible.
I don't get temperatures above 50 degrees for the CPU and 55-56 for the cores . Intel burn test simply tortures your CPU, heating it much more than any other application( 15 degrees or even more).

And there is a difference between my OC and your OC.
3833/2500=1.533(53.33 % frequency increase) and 1333/800=1.666(66,6% FSB increase)
!