AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.20 GHz

Asus Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

OCZ Gold 6 GB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz, 8, Non-ECC, Kit Of 3

Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB, 7200 Rpm, 16 MB, S-ATA II/300

Corsair TX650 650 Watt

Sony Optiarc AD-7241S S-ATA, Bulk,

More about : final build list good

November 17, 2009 1:56:57 AM

May wish to add a fan controller, as i found out with my new case the Antec fans only have a 3 preset fan control which dangle around on the inside of the case... this is not exactly ideal if you plan to alter your fan settings to suit your current performance needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the closest model I could find to the one I currently use. You can connect up to four fans and it comes with four temp sensors. its easily setup and you can modulate the fanspeeds by incriments of 30 rpm it shows ambient temps in either C or F. Plus it looks ... pretty bad ass. Nothing like a couple of old school turn dials, toggle switches, and VFD's to make your computer look high-tech.
Related resources
November 17, 2009 2:19:14 AM

tecmo34 said:
Everything looks good except your RAM.

You want to buy in sets of 4GB for AM3. The 6GB RAM is setup for Core i7 (LGA 1366) builds. Here is the RAM I would recommend... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm running the same CPU on an ASUS M4A78T-E mobo with 6GB under Windows 7 - no problem whatsoever with using all of the RAM.

November 17, 2009 2:27:16 AM

lok said:
I'm running the same CPU on an ASUS M4A78T-E mobo with 6GB under Windows 7 - no problem whatsoever with using all of the RAM.

It will run, but 2 things are going on here. First, unless you're dealing with several REALLY big programs and files at the same time (usually only found in rendering applications, and should have an intel CPU for that) you're never going to use more than 4gigs. Probably won't use more than 3 unless you run lots of background apps while gaming. So you've paid for more ram than you can realistically use.

Second, the third stick will be running in single channel mode or its possible, all 3 drop to single channel mode. This will effect performance. Dual channel lets the ram run like a RAID HDD setup, so you definitely want the to keep all of it in dual channel.
November 17, 2009 2:43:26 AM

I run Premiere Pro a lot, often have numerous apps open, and am also regularly using W7's XP Mode, which eats quite a bit of memory. I think I got what I need, but thanks for worrying.

The single vs dual channel aspect seems pretty vague. There's lots of discussion on this forum and elsewhere. In theory, there should be a difference in performance. Practically, it seems there often is none, so whether this really matters remains unclear (at least to me).
November 17, 2009 3:07:44 AM

Usually, the memory subsystem isn't what holds a computer back.

When you have all your apps open, pop into task manager and see what your physical memory numbers are and just how much your using. If its still less than 4, pull a stick and see if you notice a performance difference or run some benchmarks before and after. It would be interesting to see some actual numbers.
November 17, 2009 12:40:51 PM

tecmo34 said:
Everything looks good except your RAM.

You want to buy in sets of 4GB for AM3. The 6GB RAM is setup for Core i7 (LGA 1366) builds. Here is the RAM I would recommend... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But now u recommend me : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
Dual Channel Intel Core i5 & Core i7 CPU for P55 motherboard that is also for Intelboard(p55)?
November 17, 2009 12:48:17 PM

roborabbit said:
May wish to add a fan controller, as i found out with my new case the Antec fans only have a 3 preset fan control which dangle around on the inside of the case... this is not exactly ideal if you plan to alter your fan settings to suit your current performance needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the closest model I could find to the one I currently use. You can connect up to four fans and it comes with four temp sensors. its easily setup and you can modulate the fanspeeds by incriments of 30 rpm it shows ambient temps in either C or F. Plus it looks ... pretty bad ass. Nothing like a couple of old school turn dials, toggle switches, and VFD's to make your computer look high-tech.

Wich Antec case do u have?
November 17, 2009 12:51:40 PM

It can be used for any dual channel board, which could be either AMD or Intel. There isn't a specific tie from the CPU to the type of RAM, except through the motherboard. The motherboard you're choosing runs best with dual channel RAM, not triple channel. Plus, dual channel will be cheaper.
November 17, 2009 12:51:53 PM

lok said:

u don't know if u using the full 6 RAM?
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 17, 2009 1:06:12 PM

zupreme said:
But now u recommend me : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
Dual Channel Intel Core i5 & Core i7 CPU for P55 motherboard that is also for Intelboard(p55)?

As stated by MadAdmiral, this RAM will work on the AM3 board. It states for Core i5 / i7 because it has equal to or below 1.65V for it's voltage requirements, which is required to run on the X58/P55 boards. Also at 1.5V, it gives you room to overclock easier with increases in voltage and still be within save level for motherboards.
November 17, 2009 1:31:12 PM

zupreme said:
u don't know if u using the full 6 RAM?

All of it is used by Windows. With a few applications opened, I show about 4.6GB free. That drops (a lot) if I use certain Adobe apps.
November 17, 2009 3:17:22 PM

zupreme said:
Wich Antec case do u have?

I'm currently and will probably always use some variation on the Antec 300. I'm on my 3rd one so far (Nothing ever went wrong with them, I just give my old PCs away when I build a new one-- spending 100-170 more for a PSU/Case isn't a bad deal considering it saves my friends/family from spending 400+ on new PCs for their kids) and love them they are easy to mod, lots of air flow and good quality for the price. The only con I can think of with the 300 is the HDD attachment adding a few plastic/no-tool clips would be a nice improvement and relatively cheap, also some rubber/vibration absorbing material around where the HDDs attach isn't a bad idea either. But for the sub 70~ price you can't really beat it unless there is an uber sale on the 900. Also I buy the one without the LED fans on the front... I dislike bling.
November 17, 2009 11:37:52 PM

Quote:
well they were i zip tied them, but there not really a problem i find!

Zip tying does work but I find it a bit annoying to have to reach inside my case to alter fanspeed :/ . That's the only reason why I suggested the controller. Plus they do look cool.
November 18, 2009 12:47:09 AM

lok said:
All of it is used by Windows. With a few applications opened, I show about 4.6GB free. That drops (a lot) if I use certain Adobe apps.

The question is, how much. Launch adobe and give us those numbers if you get a chance.

zupreme, heres an article supporting what tecmo is telling you. Speed after 1333 doesn't make a lick of difference, but the timings do if you're OCing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-ddr3,2319...
November 18, 2009 1:13:17 AM

skora said:
The question is, how much. Launch adobe and give us those numbers if you get a chance.

Right now I'm running Outlook, Firefox, Photoshop, Soundbooth - all without any significant loads (no pic in PS, no audio file in SB). I started Captivate and published one of my projects - not my largest one. Mem dropped to 2407 at the lowest point (out of 6GB). That's without running Premiere, which I often do as well, and without XP Mode activated.

Convinced?
November 18, 2009 1:43:45 AM

I wasn't asking for justification, I'm interested in the numbers. What you have there is a great example of when more than 4 gigs is necessary. Heavy production is one of the few sectors that will regularly bust through 4gigs. I see a lot of light production builds that say, I edit photos, do I need 8 gigs. On top of PS, if you can get Captivate and soundbooth in under 4, then I have something to point to and say NO, you're not running nearly as much as lok. Thanks for that.
November 18, 2009 11:46:24 AM

i read the article very interesting, but i orderd everything yesterday and instead of the G.Skill 1333mhz CL7 wich they didnt had and had to be ordered with a 20 day waiting time i have chosen the OCZ Gold Edition 4 GB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz, 8, Kit Of 2...
and the 4Gb will definitely be enough cus i don't work with many/big programs at the same time maybe someday i will OC and it will come in handy the 1600mhz :D 
!