Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel i5 2500k/ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 OverClocking Settings REAAAAAAD!

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 12, 2012 8:35:57 AM

So I got my new CM Hyper 212 evo cooler. I installed it and it works perfectly. So I decided to overclock my cpu for the first time and I set the cpu to 4.5 Ghz and I left everything else auto/stock. The CPU runs 36c idle, 42c under 100% load. I stress tested it for 2 hours and it works fine. However, I looked up others overclocking and what their settings were and I thought I better do that. I put a question up and this is what I got:
CPU Multiplier x45
BCLK: 100mhz
Short and Long duration: 230/200.
core current limit 200
Vcore: OFFSET mode +0.020Volts
Load line calibration: LEVEL 4
Spread spectrum disabled
SpeedStep: on
.
I put those settings on and my cpu gained about 7c and about 20W more idle. I'm assuming that my original settings are better because my cpu ran cooler, right? I would think these settings would be better but I guess not. I want to be able to overclock to 4.5 Ghz with my cooler. Here are the settings. Should I stick with what I got? Or is there something I should definitely change?

Settings-------
Advanced Turbo 50:
Load Optimized CPU OC Setting:

CPU Control------
CPU Ratio Setting:
Internal PLL Overvoltage:
Intel Speedstep Technology:
Intel Turbo Boost Technology:
Turbo Boost Power Limit:
Additional Turbo Voltage:
Core Current Limit:
Host Clock Override (BCLK):
Spread Spectrum:

Voltage Control------
Power Saving Mode:
CPU Core Voltage:
CPU Load-Line Calibration:
DRAM Voltage:
PCH Voltage:
CPU PLL Voltage:
VTT Voltage:
VCCSA Voltage:


Specs:
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz
ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68
Nvidia Geforce PNY XLR8 GTX 460 OC
8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 Mhz Corsair Vengeance Blue
Ultra LSP650 650W
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2012 8:41:55 AM

As I said before, you have a different cooler and CPU silicone than me as no CPU is the same. You can try fixed mode at 1.3v/or change OFFSET values. You can also try to lower long and short duration to 210/180 something like that. Also look into core current limit values. Your old CPU OC you said it was unstable, as overclocking is experimenting/trial and error.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 8:52:26 AM

constepatdyak said:
As I said before, you have a different cooler and CPU silicone than me as no CPU is the same. You can try fixed mode at 1.3v/or change OFFSET values. You can also try to lower long and short duration to 210/180 something like that. Also look into core current limit values. Your old CPU OC you said it was unstable, as overclocking is experimenting/trial and error.


What is there to gain by changing anything? If I can run it at 4.5 Ghz stable, I'm happy. It seems to work fine. I just don't want to make a fatal error that will cost half of my cpu's life. Ha.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 9:14:28 AM

Well by turning up things like load line calibration and other features your motherboard has, you increase stability. You should try turned all the features back down and finding the lowest stable voltage.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2012 9:30:37 AM

Arlen10 said:
What is there to gain by changing anything? If I can run it at 4.5 Ghz stable, I'm happy. It seems to work fine. I just don't want to make a fatal error that will cost half of my cpu's life. Ha.


Oh, I thought you said your temperatures were too high. But no, your cpu will not last half lifetime. It will be years and years no problem
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 11:49:03 AM

36c idle and 42c 100% load @4.5Ghz???!!! Not even water cool can keep the load temp that low. You may have the magic 212 evo.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 6:24:37 PM

Sonny73N said:
36c idle and 42c 100% load @4.5Ghz???!!! Not even water cool can keep the load temp that low. You may have the magic 212 evo.


Haha yeah right now it's 33c.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 6:27:38 PM

constepatdyak said:
Oh, I thought you said your temperatures were too high. But no, your cpu will not last half lifetime. It will be years and years no problem


Okay, so am I set? Like I said, im assuming whatever runs cooler at 4.5Ghz is better. Btw, I made sure that it was running at 4.5 with CPU-Z.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 6:28:49 PM

Max1s said:
Well by turning up things like load line calibration and other features your motherboard has, you increase stability. You should try turned all the features back down and finding the lowest stable voltage.


Won't it be best to set the VCore to Auto? That way it adjusts to what I need at the moment?
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 7:04:40 PM

Arlen10 said:
Won't it be best to set the VCore to Auto? That way it adjusts to what I need at the moment?


I wouldn't set it to auto, they tend to put in more voltage than needed...but if you are using turbo boost...I'm not sure, it would be better maybe .

IMO if you are stable, I think you should leave things as is. Especially with those amazing temps, on air cooling, it means you're barely using added voltage and you have a really good chip.

So yeah, you really have nothing to worry about as far as you cpu's lifespan
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 7:17:55 PM

ismaeljrp said:
I wouldn't set it to auto, they tend to put in more voltage than needed...but if you are using turbo boost...I'm not sure, it would be better maybe .

IMO if you are stable, I think you should leave things as is. Especially with those amazing temps, on air cooling, it means you're barely using added voltage and you have a really good chip.

So yeah, you really have nothing to worry about as far as you cpu's lifespan


It likes to stay about .90 Volts and the highest it goes to is 1.26/.28. I haven't messed with the turbo boost settings so I don't think it plays a part with it overclocked.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 7:34:02 PM

Arlen10 said:
It likes to stay about .90 Volts and the highest it goes to is 1.26/.28. I haven't messed with the turbo boost settings so I don't think it plays a part with it overclocked.



1.5 volts, is dangerous level.....1.26 is pretty much stock. Most OC guides recommend disabling turbo boost and speedstep stuff, c1 c3 etc... for stability reasons....I disabled them because I'm @ 4.0ghz stock voltage, and max is 1.289 when stressed with Intel burn test....@ load I never get above 55c....In other words....I don't need it.


So :
1) Your voltage is great, no worries at all, unless it gets unstable, then add a bit, stress again. repeat if needed...you shouldn't need above 1.35 for 4.5ghz.... but you said it's stable, so no worries.

2) your temps are great, 70c + is pushing it

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2012 8:21:38 PM

Arlen10 said:
What is there to gain by changing anything? If I can run it at 4.5 Ghz stable, I'm happy. It seems to work fine. I just don't want to make a fatal error that will cost half of my cpu's life. Ha.


if you run over 1.4 volts too it you will shorten its life.


Sonny73N said:
36c idle and 42c 100% load @4.5Ghz???!!! Not even water cool can keep the load temp that low. You may have the magic 212 evo.


this is just not possible. your reading the wrong temps or your room is 60*f

Arlen10 said:
Okay, so am I set? Like I said, im assuming whatever runs cooler at 4.5Ghz is better. Btw, I made sure that it was running at 4.5 with CPU-Z.


what voltage are you running at this overclock. you should be more like -.08 offset.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 9:44:44 PM

cbrunnem said:
if you run over 1.4 volts too it you will shorten its life.




this is just not possible. your reading the wrong temps or your room is 60*f



what voltage are you running at this overclock. you should be more like -.08 offset.



I'm running on Auto 0.9-1.26. I live in Los Angeles so it's 60f. The temps are from HW Monitor

Here is a screenshot:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc312/Arlen____/Capt...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2012 10:30:16 PM

Arlen10 said:
I'm running on Auto 0.9-1.26. I live in Los Angeles so it's 60f. The temps are from HW Monitor

Here is a screenshot:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc312/Arlen____/Capt...

oh ok that explains your temps kinda. if you had normal room temps of 70 degrees your temps should be in the 60s.

your max voltage was 1.3 also.
Share
April 12, 2012 11:59:50 PM

Best answer selected by Arlen10.
m
0
l
!