Does XP Pro support disk mirroing?

I have XP Pro SP2 and I want to mirror the
74GB sys drive with a 74GB spare, but, the
ADD MIRROR option is grayed out.

Does XP Pro support mirroring?

It's hard to believe that they would display the
disallowed option if they don't support that feature at all.

thanks,

According to Windows's Help and Support, Disk Mirroring is supported on
Dynamic Disks. Apparently since the feature is grayed out, you don't have
the hard drives on the computer set as dynamic disks.

"spinlock" <NullVoid@att.net> wrote in message
> I have XP Pro SP2 and I want to mirror the
> 74GB sys drive with a 74GB spare, but, the
> ADD MIRROR option is grayed out.
>
> Does XP Pro support mirroring?
>
> It's hard to believe that they would display the
> disallowed option if they don't support that feature at all.
>
> thanks,

Unfortunately, they are dynamic disks and it
still doesn't allow me to select it.

Both drives are 74GB drives, the system drive
is a dynamic disk, and I have tried the other
drive as:
1) unallocated
2) dynamic disk, primary partition, but, unformatted
3) dynamic disk, primary partition and formatted with NTFS
4) basic disk, primary partition, but, unformatted
5) basic disk, primary partition, formatted with NTFS

"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
> According to Windows's Help and Support, Disk Mirroring is supported on
> Dynamic Disks. Apparently since the feature is grayed out, you don't have
> the hard drives on the computer set as dynamic disks.
>

> "spinlock" <NullVoid@att.net> wrote in message
> > I have XP Pro SP2 and I want to mirror the
> > 74GB sys drive with a 74GB spare, but, the
> > ADD MIRROR option is grayed out.
> >
> > Does XP Pro support mirroring?
> >
> > It's hard to believe that they would display the
> > disallowed option if they don't support that feature at all.
> >
> > thanks,

XP Pro as any other workstation OS doesn't support the software RAID.

"You can extend or mirror dynamic volumes
and add new dynamic disks without restarting the computer"
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_exploring_windows.mspx

Leads me to believe that you can, but, I have seen
other places that specifically say that you can't.

I think the confusion is caused by the fact that XP Pro allows
you to remotely connect to Win2000 system and do
administrator functions on them. I think the Add Volume for XP Pro
is only allowed on the target machine when you are remotely
connected.

My mobo BIOS supports RAID. I think I will use that instead.

> Unfortunately, they are dynamic disks and it
> still doesn't allow me to select it.
>
> Both drives are 74GB drives, the system drive
> is a dynamic disk, and I have tried the other
> drive as:
> 1) unallocated
> 2) dynamic disk, primary partition, but, unformatted
> 3) dynamic disk, primary partition and formatted with NTFS
> 4) basic disk, primary partition, but, unformatted
> 5) basic disk, primary partition, formatted with NTFS
>
> "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
> > According to Windows's Help and Support, Disk Mirroring is supported on
> > Dynamic Disks. Apparently since the feature is grayed out, you don't
have
> > the hard drives on the computer set as dynamic disks.
> >

> > "spinlock" <NullVoid@att.net> wrote in message
> > > I have XP Pro SP2 and I want to mirror the
> > > 74GB sys drive with a 74GB spare, but, the
> > > ADD MIRROR option is grayed out.
> > >
> > > Does XP Pro support mirroring?
> > >
> > > It's hard to believe that they would display the
> > > disallowed option if they don't support that feature at all.
> > >
> > > thanks,

tech

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

You can do this on dynamic disks. Unfortunately your
system partition can't be dynamic. You could do it with
two 74giggers and like a 20 or 40gb to boot off of tho.
Make the 2 74giggers dynamic and just load the os on the
small drive.