Hard drive seen as raw after crash

bgclevenger

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
hello and good morning all. i'm in a bit of a pickle and am hoping someone can help out. here's what happened:

i was using a usb stick to install a linux distro to dual boot with my preinstalled windows 7. i have done/undone this several times without issue. this time i had an issue. the linux install froze up (red hat) leaving me no choice but to manually shut down the computer. when i restarted (without usb stick), windows would not load. i was presented with a screen to do a repair or start windows normally.

running the repair did nothing. if i try to start windows normally if begins then a quick bsod flash and the system reboots. other than the automated repair, i have run the fixboot commands (no luck). i tried to manually fix the bootloader with bootrec (no luck). can access the from from within windows or linux environments. if i can repair the windows install, great. if not, i at least need to get some data off this disk that didn't get backed up.

i have not since messed with the drive. i have not formatted it or tried a repair install. disk management show the drive as drive e: simple, basic, raw, healthy (primary partition) 100% free.

any help would be appriated, thanks.

brian