Sign in with
Your question

Dell Power Supply Options

Last response: in Components
January 31, 2010 6:41:25 PM

I recently got a free graphics card that requires a 500W or greater power supply, but my Dell Precision 390 Workstation only has the retail one, which provides up to 375. I'm probably going to end up buying a new power supply to fit this card, and I need some help being pointed in the right direction. I've also heard that computers like mine require a Dell power supply due to limited compatibility. So, I just need a power supply that is:

Compatible with a Dell Precision 390 Workstation
Able to provide at least 500W
Relatively Cheap

The cost isn't a huge deal, but I would prefer it to be under $100. Thanks in advance!
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 7:05:00 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

What GPU you bought?, and make you sure that your case and current PSU is ATX. With a 500W PSU is enough for the rig, make you sure that is from a good brand like Coolermaster, Corsair, Thermaltake, Antec, PC power and cooling or OCZ.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 11:55:26 PM

When you get a new PSU best to take your old one along to check that the screw holes are teh same.
Some Dell PC's use non-standard PSU's so a normal one will not phsyically fit in the case.
August 1, 2012 12:40:21 AM

doxq said:
Compatible with a Dell Precision 390 Workstation

Hi Doxq,

Did you find one? My PS is dying and I'd like one with a few more watts available.

Was compatibility an issue? Dell is now only selling refurbs of the original supply. Gonna stay away from those! Some refurbs are just brought in and retested and resold. A PS with a temperature issue may pass and then I'll have another one just like the other one.

Thanks.

--Brian
!