cptziggy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I've started looking in the BIOS on my computer and I became curious. I've had problems lately (see a thread in the GPU-forum.).
Anyway when I checked in BIOS my CPU Ratio Setting was put to 17. I put in to auto just to be on the safe side (I've never touched it before, but I believe it's suppose to stand on auto as default?

Im olso curious about the DRAM speed when we're first talking about the BIOS. I have Corsair XMS3 1600mhz, so I put the AI overclocktuner and put it on DOCP and the DRAM Frequency on 1600mhz. Is this correct?

How should I set up the i5 750 with the standard boxed fan?

My MB is the Asus p7p55d.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Did you turn XMP on in the BIOS? This would explain why your CPU Ratio setting was at 17, instead of Auto or 20. The i5 750 cannot run RAM at more than 1333 without affecting the CPU. This basically means OCing your CPU. You can turn the CPU multiplier down, but you lose Turbo, which is what happens when you enable XMP.

The changes you've made could also be causing your instability. Two things to check:
1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS
2. Make sure you have the latest AMD drivers for your OS: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

After getting up to date, load your BIOS defaults (including with XMP = disabled) and test the system to see if it is stale that way. Then you'll know whether XMP/running RAM faster is the culprit.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I had a bizarre issue pop up with my i5-750 / Asus Maximus Gene III mobo recently... for whatever reason my board decided that I needed 1.4 volts when I'd only asked for 1.28. I had a lockup during a long gaming session and started investigating. When I found the voltage problem, I set it back to 1.28, saved changes and rebooted... the value stayed at 1.4. Flashed my BIOS (I was several revisions behind) and resolved that issue. So yes, BIOS updates can fix weird problems.