Need help with my Core2Duo E4600

killer512

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
hi guys
so i was planning to overclock my CPU ( Core2Duo E4600 @ 2.4 GHZ ) But i wanted to know the best settings i should put so i dont damage my hardware
my motherboard is Gigabyte Intel 945GCM-S2L
and i have a stock fan

so can anybody help me with it
thanks alot

(And Plz can you do a step by step instruction coz am new to this whole thing ..... first time )

Well, the stock fan will be the limiting factor.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (generic guide based on an Asus motherboard)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide
Just look at this for the basic principles. Gigabyte uses a different BIOS.

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.html
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.
This is the guide you should use for BIOS settings.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in proportion with it. At an FSB of 200 MHz, your memory clock should be at 400 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Now start the "increase FSB, test, increase core voltage, retest" cycle.

Keep going until:
#1. Core temps under load reach 65 - 70 C.
#2. Core voltage reaches 1.50 volts.
#3. You reach maximum core speed.

With the stock cooler, #1 is the most likely.

killer512

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

thanks alot for this fast reply
so i read about overclocking and to be honest i was looking through the internet and i found that some people overclocked the E4600 to 3.0GHZ but when i did that (as in the vidz) when i save and quit nothing happend so i turn it off and then start it again the it goes back the same so i dont know if u had any problem like this

oh and i forgot to tell you that i have 2 ram sticks one is 1GB @ 667 ( idk the kind or model ) and another one 2GB kingstone @800 i dont know if this changes anything but plz help me with this problem

thanks alot

Because you will be starting of stock with a memory clock of 400 MHz, you will be a long way from the 667 MHz limit of your slowest DIMM. The other thing you need to do is to set the memory timing to the slower of your DIMM's. If, for example, one is 4-4-4-12 and one is 5-5-5-15, set your mem timing to 5's-15.

killer512

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

ok thanks alot man but i didnt know what u mean can u plz explain it to me (after all am new to this whole thing)

killer512

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
hey again

so i got back my old Ram's (i dont know the brand or model 2*1GB @ 667) and i done what you told me and it worked i got my cpu to 3.0 ghz but can anybody tell me why it wouldnt overclock when i had my new kingstone ???

and can i do the same thing if i put my kingstone ??? maybe i have to do something in order to make it work ???