Installing multiple houses: revisited

Some of us had noticed that we couldn't install more than one house at
a time; if we tried, only the last one installed would show up in the
game. Then I found that I was able to install multiple houses before
original problem again. Here's my latest theory: The ones today
involved houses I downloaded from the Exchange, so maybe the problem
involves only Exchange houses but not houses from fan sites. All of
them, both Exchange houses and others, were downloaded into a folder
and installed later from there. So I don't know why there would be a
difference, but this definitely did happen again today. I had to exit
the game and reinstall the missing house before it would show up.

BW

barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
> Some of us had noticed that we couldn't install more than one house
at
> a time; if we tried, only the last one installed would show up in
the
> game. Then I found that I was able to install multiple houses
before
> original problem again. Here's my latest theory: The ones today
> involved houses I downloaded from the Exchange, so maybe the problem
> involves only Exchange houses but not houses from fan sites. All of
> them, both Exchange houses and others, were downloaded into a folder
> and installed later from there. So I don't know why there would be
> difference, but this definitely did happen again today. I had to
exit
> the game and reinstall the missing house before it would show up.

Were the ones not from the exchange saved as "Sims2Pack" files, like
the ones from the Exchange? I think the problem is with that, it uses
the same temporary file name for every lot.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:41:10 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban"
<jer@connectria.com> wrote:

>barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
>> Some of us had noticed that we couldn't install more than one house
>at
>> a time; if we tried, only the last one installed would show up in
>the
>> game. Then I found that I was able to install multiple houses
>before
>> original problem again. Here's my latest theory: The ones today
>> involved houses I downloaded from the Exchange, so maybe the problem
>> involves only Exchange houses but not houses from fan sites. All of
>> them, both Exchange houses and others, were downloaded into a folder
>> and installed later from there. So I don't know why there would be
>> difference, but this definitely did happen again today. I had to
>exit
>> the game and reinstall the missing house before it would show up.
>
>Were the ones not from the exchange saved as "Sims2Pack" files, like
>the ones from the Exchange?

Yes.

> I think the problem is with that, it uses
>the same temporary file name for every lot.

I suspected it could be something like that. The filenames as
downloaded are all different, but perhaps the internal name, whatever
is inside the pack, are the same.

BW

I found that if I don't use the Install Wizard but instead download the
house files and then install them myself, then I get all the houses so I
think it's a problem with the Wizard.

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:00:45 -0800, "Kristy" <Wembeley@cox.net> wrote:

>I found that if I don't use the Install Wizard but instead download the
>house files and then install them myself, then I get all the houses so I
>think it's a problem with the Wizard.

I'm not sure I understand what the Wizard is. I download the files by
clicking on the Download link and saving it in a folder. I get a file
with a Sim2Pack extension. Later, I double-click on the file and it
installs. That's how I handle both Exchange houses and houses from
fan sites. Is there another way to do it?

BW

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:00:45 -0800, "Kristy" <Wembeley@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I found that if I don't use the Install Wizard but instead download the
>>house files and then install them myself, then I get all the houses so I
>>think it's a problem with the Wizard.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what the Wizard is. I download the files by
> clicking on the Download link and saving it in a folder. I get a file
> with a Sim2Pack extension. Later, I double-click on the file and it
> installs. That's how I handle both Exchange houses and houses from
> fan sites. Is there another way to do it?
>
> BW

You can download things from the exchange from within the game.
They atomically install.
The only thing that I have tried this with was the cornucopia.
The in-game browser is hard to navigate and is to small.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:33:11 -0600, "Davybear" <Davybear@adelphia.net>
wrote:

><barbara@bookpro.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:00:45 -0800, "Kristy" <Wembeley@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I found that if I don't use the Install Wizard but instead download the
>>>house files and then install them myself, then I get all the houses so I
>>>think it's a problem with the Wizard.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand what the Wizard is. I download the files by
>> clicking on the Download link and saving it in a folder. I get a file
>> with a Sim2Pack extension. Later, I double-click on the file and it
>> installs. That's how I handle both Exchange houses and houses from
>> fan sites. Is there another way to do it?
>
>You can download things from the exchange from within the game.
>They atomically install.
>The only thing that I have tried this with was the cornucopia.
>The in-game browser is hard to navigate and is to small.

OK, so that's not the reason for the multiple-install problem, because
I've never done it that way. I'm a control freak--I'd rather do it
myself. Also, I want to save the download files for backup.

BW