HELP - I lost my toolbars.

The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar, and
a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all lost and
i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the taskbar, going to
toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do this everytime i reboot
because they always disappear and all I have is an empty taskbar
without those three. Now, the problem seems to have become compounded,
because when I right click on the taskbar then click toolbars so that
I enable them, the items show in gray font in the submenu but i can't
activate any of them, they just don't click.

What happened?!

How can i fix this?

thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about help lost toolbars
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409061002.4fa93e67@posting.google.com>...
    > The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
    > restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar, and
    > a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all lost and
    > i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the taskbar, going to
    > toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do this everytime i reboot
    > because they always disappear and all I have is an empty taskbar
    > without those three. Now, the problem seems to have become compounded,
    > because when I right click on the taskbar then click toolbars so that
    > I enable them, the items show in gray font in the submenu but i can't
    > activate any of them, they just don't click.
    >
    > What happened?!
    >
    > How can i fix this?
    >
    > thanks

    any ideas?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    Mike Henley wrote:
    > mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message
    >> The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
    >> restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar,
    >> and a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all
    >> lost and i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the
    >> taskbar, going to toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do
    >> this everytime i reboot because they always disappear and all I
    >> have is an empty taskbar without those three. Now, the problem
    >> seems to have become compounded, because when I right click on the
    >> taskbar then click toolbars so that I enable them, the items show
    >> in gray font in the submenu but i can't activate any of them, they
    >> just don't click.
    >>
    >> What happened?!
    >>
    >> How can i fix this?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >
    > any ideas?

    Tried using SFC to check for bad/missing files? Tried reinstalling Windows
    on top of itself?

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    if it happens every time you reboot, (might be in folders options) check the
    box that says save windows settings on exit. better luck going to
    http://www.regedit.com

    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
    > Mike Henley wrote:
    >> mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message
    >>> The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
    >>> restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar,
    >>> and a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all
    >>> lost and i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the
    >>> taskbar, going to toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do
    >>> this everytime i reboot because they always disappear and all I
    >>> have is an empty taskbar without those three. Now, the problem
    >>> seems to have become compounded, because when I right click on the
    >>> taskbar then click toolbars so that I enable them, the items show
    >>> in gray font in the submenu but i can't activate any of them, they
    >>> just don't click.
    >>>
    >>> What happened?!
    >>>
    >>> How can i fix this?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>
    >> any ideas?
    >
    > Tried using SFC to check for bad/missing files? Tried reinstalling
    > Windows
    > on top of itself?
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > _____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    > ____________________________

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    THis is a weird one for sure-- I know of this tool which suggests this
    is quite a widespread problem:

    that is a good site as well for XP problems.

    hope it works out.

    best,
    xtort
    [http://xtort.net]

    mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409080114.5679aeb4@posting.google.com>...
    > mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409061002.4fa93e67@posting.google.com>...
    > > The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
    > > restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar, and
    > > a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all lost and
    > > i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the taskbar, going to
    > > toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do this everytime i reboot
    > > because they always disappear and all I have is an empty taskbar
    > > without those three. Now, the problem seems to have become compounded,
    > > because when I right click on the taskbar then click toolbars so that
    > > I enable them, the items show in gray font in the submenu but i can't
    > > activate any of them, they just don't click.
    > >
    > > What happened?!
    > >
    > > How can i fix this?
    > >
    > > thanks
    >
    > any ideas?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    There is also a reg file for this:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/toolbarsgreyedout.reg

    best,
    xtort
    [http://xtort.net]

    mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409080114.5679aeb4@posting.google.com>...
    > mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409061002.4fa93e67@posting.google.com>...
    > > The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
    > > restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar, and
    > > a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all lost and
    > > i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the taskbar, going to
    > > toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do this everytime i reboot
    > > because they always disappear and all I have is an empty taskbar
    > > without those three. Now, the problem seems to have become compounded,
    > > because when I right click on the taskbar then click toolbars so that
    > > I enable them, the items show in gray font in the submenu but i can't
    > > activate any of them, they just don't click.
    > >
    > > What happened?!
    > >
    > > How can i fix this?
    > >
    > > thanks
    >
    > any ideas?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    "*ProteanThread*" <sysop at village council dot net> wrote in message news:<BI2dnS1pnOvPkaLcRVn-iw@bresnan.com>...
    > if it happens every time you reboot, (might be in folders options) check the
    > box that says save windows settings on exit. better luck going to
    > http://www.regedit.com
    >

    > "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
    > > Mike Henley wrote:
    > >> mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message

    > >> any ideas?
    > >
    > > Tried using SFC to check for bad/missing files? Tried reinstalling
    > > Windows
    > > on top of itself?
    > >
    > > --
    > > dadiOH
    > > _____________________________
    > >
    > > dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    > > ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    > > LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    > > Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
    > > ____________________________

    You can try
    Control/Alt/Delete - When the Windows Task Manager dialog box appears,
    select the File menu and then New Task (Run). When the Create New Task
    dialog box appears, type in Explorer and press the OK button. Windows
    Explorer should restart complete with the Start button.

    Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. There is a fix to let xp behave
    much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files.

    The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire
    contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is
    caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

    To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
    registry key.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94
    -71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

    Mcafee Utilities such as anti virus/firewall is also known to cause
    problems. Try removing or disabling them and see how it goes.
    ===
    also its worth to use Taskbar repair plus program(unfortenately
    payware)
    http://www.tipsdr.com/taskbar-repair-tool.html
    or Anticrash from Daschund software excellent program to prevent every
    kind of
    crash
    ===
    Another option is installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Im pretty sure they have a hotfix link about this one
    that is included in service pack 2
    ===
    What is causing this problem?
    (Win XP)This problem could be easily identified going to desktop my
    computer right clicking on it/manage/clicking at plus
    sign+eventviewer/double click on application under event viewer/on the
    right pane you can double click on lines with yellow or red icons that
    represents all errors related to aplications
    you ll see Event ID nr... this is very important also the description
    below about the error a service... a dll file... a driver etc
    ===
    Also you can dobleclick on the left pane at System under event
    viewer
    to see then on right pane red error icons double kliking on those
    lines
    gives you event ID about errors of the system
    Knowing Event Id Nr can help to identify precisely the buggy
    program,driver,service etc which is the culprit
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    omziff@yahoo.com (xtort) wrote in message news:<b02da960.0409081243.397a6567@posting.google.com>...
    > There is also a reg file for this:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/toolbarsgreyedout.reg
    >

    > best,
    > xtort
    > [http://xtort.net]

    Thanks you guys. Does anyone know how I can add entries to the
    registry to make a toolbar load by default?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    Mike Henley wrote:

    > Thanks you guys. Does anyone know how I can add entries to the
    > registry to make a toolbar load by default?

    Kind of overkill...all you have to do is add it to the taskbar; after that,
    it will always be there unless you close it.

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409090427.5642d612@posting.google.com>...
    > omziff@yahoo.com (xtort) wrote in message news:<b02da960.0409081243.397a6567@posting.google.com>...
    > > There is also a reg file for this:
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/toolbarsgreyedout.reg
    > >

    > > best,
    > > xtort
    > > [http://xtort.net]
    > >

    > Thanks you guys. Does anyone know how I can add entries to the
    > registry to make a toolbar load by default?

    This may help .

    Customize the Taskbar
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-02.html
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-02.htm
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message news:<2qb3dfFsuppmU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Mike Henley wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks you guys. Does anyone know how I can add entries to the
    > > registry to make a toolbar load by default?
    >
    > Kind of overkill...all you have to do is add it to the taskbar; after that,
    > it will always be there unless you close it.

    Well, that's the whole point. They're not staying there... everytime I
    reboot they're gone.

    > dadiOH
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.0...

Configuration Windows XP