HELP - I lost my toolbars.

The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar, and
a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all lost and
i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the taskbar, going to
toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do this everytime i reboot
because they always disappear and all I have is an empty taskbar
without those three. Now, the problem seems to have become compounded,
because when I right click on the taskbar then click toolbars so that
I enable them, the items show in gray font in the submenu but i can't
activate any of them, they just don't click.

What happened?!

How can i fix this?

thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409061002.4fa93e67@posting.google.com>...
> The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
> restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar, and
> a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all lost and
> i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the taskbar, going to
> toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do this everytime i reboot
> because they always disappear and all I have is an empty taskbar
> without those three. Now, the problem seems to have become compounded,
> because when I right click on the taskbar then click toolbars so that
> I enable them, the items show in gray font in the submenu but i can't
> activate any of them, they just don't click.
>
> What happened?!
>
> How can i fix this?
>
> thanks

any ideas?

Mike Henley wrote:
> mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message
>> The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
>> restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar,
>> and a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all
>> lost and i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the
>> taskbar, going to toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do
>> this everytime i reboot because they always disappear and all I
>> have is an empty taskbar without those three. Now, the problem
>> seems to have become compounded, because when I right click on the
>> taskbar then click toolbars so that I enable them, the items show
>> in gray font in the submenu but i can't activate any of them, they
>> just don't click.
>>
>> What happened?!
>>
>> How can i fix this?
>>
>> thanks
>
> any ideas?

Tried using SFC to check for bad/missing files? Tried reinstalling Windows
on top of itself?

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

if it happens every time you reboot, (might be in folders options) check the
box that says save windows settings on exit. better luck going to
http://www.regedit.com

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
> Mike Henley wrote:
>> mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message
>>> The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
>>> restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar,
>>> and a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all
>>> lost and i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the
>>> taskbar, going to toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do
>>> this everytime i reboot because they always disappear and all I
>>> have is an empty taskbar without those three. Now, the problem
>>> seems to have become compounded, because when I right click on the
>>> taskbar then click toolbars so that I enable them, the items show
>>> in gray font in the submenu but i can't activate any of them, they
>>> just don't click.
>>>
>>> What happened?!
>>>
>>> How can i fix this?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>
>> any ideas?
>
> Tried using SFC to check for bad/missing files? Tried reinstalling
> Windows
> on top of itself?
>
> --
> dadiOH
> _____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
> ____________________________

XtoRT

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

THis is a weird one for sure-- I know of this tool which suggests this
is quite a widespread problem:

that is a good site as well for XP problems.

hope it works out.

best,
xtort
[http://xtort.net]

mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409080114.5679aeb4@posting.google.com>...
> mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409061002.4fa93e67@posting.google.com>...
> > The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
> > restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar, and
> > a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all lost and
> > i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the taskbar, going to
> > toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do this everytime i reboot
> > because they always disappear and all I have is an empty taskbar
> > without those three. Now, the problem seems to have become compounded,
> > because when I right click on the taskbar then click toolbars so that
> > I enable them, the items show in gray font in the submenu but i can't
> > activate any of them, they just don't click.
> >
> > What happened?!
> >
> > How can i fix this?
> >
> > thanks
>
> any ideas?

XtoRT

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

There is also a reg file for this:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/toolbarsgreyedout.reg

best,
xtort
[http://xtort.net]

mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409080114.5679aeb4@posting.google.com>...
> mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409061002.4fa93e67@posting.google.com>...
> > The problem started like this over the past few days; everytime I
> > restart the computer the quicklaunch toolbar, the desktop boolbar, and
> > a custom toolbar I made of shortcuts put in a folder are all lost and
> > i gotta enable then again by right clicking on the taskbar, going to
> > toolbars and enabling them, and I'd have to do this everytime i reboot
> > because they always disappear and all I have is an empty taskbar
> > without those three. Now, the problem seems to have become compounded,
> > because when I right click on the taskbar then click toolbars so that
> > I enable them, the items show in gray font in the submenu but i can't
> > activate any of them, they just don't click.
> >
> > What happened?!
> >
> > How can i fix this?
> >
> > thanks
>
> any ideas?

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"*ProteanThread*" <sysop at village council dot net> wrote in message news:<BI2dnS1pnOvPkaLcRVn-iw@bresnan.com>...
> if it happens every time you reboot, (might be in folders options) check the
> box that says save windows settings on exit. better luck going to
> http://www.regedit.com
>

> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
> > Mike Henley wrote:
> >> mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message

> >> any ideas?
> >
> > Tried using SFC to check for bad/missing files? Tried reinstalling
> > Windows
> > on top of itself?
> >
> > --
> > dadiOH
> > _____________________________
> >
> > dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
> > ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
> > LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
> > Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
> > ____________________________

You can try
Control/Alt/Delete - When the Windows Task Manager dialog box appears,
select the File menu and then New Task (Run). When the Create New Task
dialog box appears, type in Explorer and press the OK button. Windows
Explorer should restart complete with the Start button.

Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. There is a fix to let xp behave
much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files.

The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire
contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is
caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94
-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

Mcafee Utilities such as anti virus/firewall is also known to cause
problems. Try removing or disabling them and see how it goes.
===
also its worth to use Taskbar repair plus program(unfortenately
payware)
http://www.tipsdr.com/taskbar-repair-tool.html
or Anticrash from Daschund software excellent program to prevent every
kind of
crash
===
Another option is installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
Im pretty sure they have a hotfix link about this one
that is included in service pack 2
===
What is causing this problem?
(Win XP)This problem could be easily identified going to desktop my
computer right clicking on it/manage/clicking at plus
sign+eventviewer/double click on application under event viewer/on the
right pane you can double click on lines with yellow or red icons that
represents all errors related to aplications
you ll see Event ID nr... this is very important also the description
below about the error a service... a dll file... a driver etc
===
Also you can dobleclick on the left pane at System under event
viewer
to see then on right pane red error icons double kliking on those
lines
gives you event ID about errors of the system
Knowing Event Id Nr can help to identify precisely the buggy
program,driver,service etc which is the culprit

omziff@yahoo.com (xtort) wrote in message news:<b02da960.0409081243.397a6567@posting.google.com>...
> There is also a reg file for this:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/toolbarsgreyedout.reg
>

> best,
> xtort
> [http://xtort.net]

Thanks you guys. Does anyone know how I can add entries to the
registry to make a toolbar load by default?

Mike Henley wrote:

> Thanks you guys. Does anyone know how I can add entries to the
> registry to make a toolbar load by default?

Kind of overkill...all you have to do is add it to the taskbar; after that,
it will always be there unless you close it.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<6005702b.0409090427.5642d612@posting.google.com>...
> omziff@yahoo.com (xtort) wrote in message news:<b02da960.0409081243.397a6567@posting.google.com>...
> > There is also a reg file for this:
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/toolbarsgreyedout.reg
> >

> > best,
> > xtort
> > [http://xtort.net]
> >

> Thanks you guys. Does anyone know how I can add entries to the
> registry to make a toolbar load by default?

This may help .

Customize the Taskbar
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-02.html

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message news:<2qb3dfFsuppmU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Mike Henley wrote:
>
> > Thanks you guys. Does anyone know how I can add entries to the
> > registry to make a toolbar load by default?
>
> Kind of overkill...all you have to do is add it to the taskbar; after that,
> it will always be there unless you close it.

Well, that's the whole point. They're not staying there... everytime I
reboot they're gone.

> dadiOH
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.0...

TRENDING THREADS