Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Keep failing on trying to overclock a Q9550

Last response: in Overclocking
April 12, 2012 9:10:42 PM

Hello,
I am trying to Over clock my brother computer asus pn-d mobo and a intel q9550 a super talent T800UB2GSA DDR2-800 CL6 RAM EVGA GTX 285 2 in SLI, Corsair TX580W PSU

Is 2 days I am trying to get a decent 3.2 Overclock and no matter what I do I keep loosing core #2 during prime95 blend test with "FATAL ERROR, rounding 0.5 what ever it says"
What can I do, I know this computer have dead tecnology on it, but he doesn't have any money to buy new one, so I am trying to OC it so he can get another year of life in newer games
April 12, 2012 9:12:22 PM

sorry miss spelled the mobo name, is a ASUS P5N-D with the 750i Nvidia chipset
m
l

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 13, 2012 12:57:33 AM

The nVidia nForce 600/700 chipset overclocks a little differently from the other Intel BIOS's. You set the FSB clock, not the FSB freq. And you can run the memory "linked" or "Unlinked".

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (generic guide based on an Asus motherboard)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...
Use this for background information only.

Your stock settings:
FSB clock - 1333 MHz (same as 333 MHz FSB freq)
Set memory to Linked (or perhaps "Synced").
Memory freq should be 1333 MHz.

Enable manual CPU control.

Now start increasing the FSB. Stress test. If the system fails, increase CPU voltage and retest.

Repeat the above step until:
1. No more improvement in CPU speed, or
2. Core voltage equals 1.45 volts, or
3. Load temps reach 70 C.

1:1 FSB:RAM ratio is best for stability, plus there is little improvement in system performance if trying to run the RAM faster.

Leave SpeedStep enabled.

The usual source of problems is trying to overclock RAM. Leave your RAM clock at 2 times the FSB. That should solve the blend test problem.

You may be able to run the memory a little higher by relaxing the memory timing from CL6 to 7-7-7-21 and increasing the memory voltage to 2.2 volts.
Related resources
April 13, 2012 10:34:09 PM

jsc said:
The nVidia nForce 600/700 chipset overclocks a little differently from the other Intel BIOS's. You set the FSB clock, not the FSB freq. And you can run the memory "linked" or "Unlinked".

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (generic guide based on an Asus motherboard)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...
Use this for background information only.

Your stock settings:
FSB clock - 1333 MHz (same as 333 MHz FSB freq)
Set memory to Linked (or perhaps "Synced").
Memory freq should be 1333 MHz.

Enable manual CPU control.

Now start increasing the FSB. Stress test. If the system fails, increase CPU voltage and retest.

Repeat the above step until:
1. No more improvement in CPU speed, or
2. Core voltage equals 1.45 volts, or
3. Load temps reach 70 C.

1:1 FSB:RAM ratio is best for stability, plus there is little improvement in system performance if trying to run the RAM faster.

Leave SpeedStep enabled.

The usual source of problems is trying to overclock RAM. Leave your RAM clock at 2 times the FSB. That should solve the blend test problem.

You may be able to run the memory a little higher by relaxing the memory timing from CL6 to 7-7-7-21 and increasing the memory voltage to 2.2 volts.

Well I tried, I got it stable and looks like I can't go any farther at 1470 FSB at 1.4VTT, 1.32 NB, 1.5SB, and this is my wall hitting, any higher the system woun't pass 2 tests on intelspeed test or 5 minutes on blend test in prime95 without returning with the error rounding was 0.5 and 0.4 what ever, about the ram, I set it at un-link because it's a DDR2 800 at CL6 (6-6-6-18 IF left in AUTO),
I OC fallowing the method of set lowest multiplex so I start increasing FSB to see what was my max FSB, then once I reached my wall on FSB of 1470 I start gradually increase multiplex and Vcore once needed.

Well right now I am running it stable at 1470x8.5 at 1.3125V bios setting but 1.23V on real terms (this board as a terrible Vdrop) and 1.4V VTT, 1.32V NB, 1.5V SB and this seems to get things to works, NB was pretty tricky to gain the right amount I saw that higher NB voltage cause as much trouble as been too low.
m
l
April 24, 2012 6:06:13 PM

Best answer selected by nick u sicilianu.
m
l
!