Sign in with
Your question

Them HUGE CPU coolers just look ugly. Help Please.

Last response: in Overclocking
April 12, 2012 10:19:36 PM

Hey guys.

Ive come to a point in my build where im questioning my selection of components.

Ive been reading ALOT about all my parts for quite a few months now but there is only so much i can read before i have to start asking questions.

Im not to sure on my budget... it started off at 600 Euros, then i found everything cheaper on Amazon.com and it jumped up 800 Euros ( 1100$ Give or take )

I am aiming for a High end machine but reasonably priced.

And thats what im at so far;

CPU i2500k ( Highly recommended and im going to try and OC it to the highest i can)
RAM HyperX 8GB (4gb x 2) On offer so why not get the extra 4gb...
Mobo AsRock Extreme4 Gen3. Greatly overclockable.

That will be my first buy.

GPU GTX 570 1.2GB
Monitor 23" Cheapest at the time.

Will be my second buy.

Having the previous in my hands i cant overclock...
And i havent a case to put it in...

Im not to fussed about noise, my pc goes like a hair dryer at the moment the noise isnt a problem but thats not to say i want to stick a household fan in my case just to keep it cool.

So... Do i choose watercooling? as before aiming for Quality but budget cost.
As by the title i HATE the look of them HUGE aircoolers. Ruins the look of a windowed case.

How much am i looking at for a simple CPU loop?
And if i want to add a GPU into the mix?
What case do i use? i like the look of the NXTZ Phantom will it do?

Will i need Mobo coolers on my Asrock Extreme4?

And Really could i get away with a H80 and alot of fans?

Are the RAM coolers useful?

Thanks for reading hopefully this will answerer the questions ive been thinking about.

Many Many Many Thanks again :) 

More about : huge cpu coolers ugly

a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2012 10:44:52 PM

Serathian said:
Hey guys.

Ive come to a point in my build where im questioning my selection of components.

Ive been reading ALOT about all my parts for quite a few months now but there is only so much i can read before i have to start asking questions.

Im not to sure on my budget... it started off at 600 Euros, then i found everything cheaper on Amazon.com and it jumped up 800 Euros ( 1100$ Give or take )

I am aiming for a High end machine but reasonably priced.

And thats what im at so far;

CPU i2500k ( Highly recommended and im going to try and OC it to the highest i can)
RAM HyperX 8GB (4gb x 2) On offer so why not get the extra 4gb...
Mobo AsRock Extreme4 Gen3. Greatly overclockable.

That will be my first buy.

GPU GTX 570 1.2GB
Monitor 23" Cheapest at the time.

Will be my second buy.

Having the previous in my hands i cant overclock...
And i havent a case to put it in...

Im not to fussed about noise, my pc goes like a hair dryer at the moment the noise isnt a problem but thats not to say i want to stick a household fan in my case just to keep it cool.

So... Do i choose watercooling? as before aiming for Quality but budget cost.
As by the title i HATE the look of them HUGE aircoolers. Ruins the look of a windowed case.

What case do i use? i like the look of the NXTZ Phantom will it do?

Thanks for reading hopefully this will answerer the questions ive been thinking about.

Many Many Many Thanks again :) 

well as far as space and looks go, you can most of the parts in a old case.(EX: check out my experimental radiator thread)

I would say $350 for a good start up on a custom build for the CPU alone
and $100 on the average for each additional component

I use ram coolers and I like them
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2012 3:42:40 AM

For a CPU loop, take a look at the XSPC Rasa kits (I wouldn't necessarily start with those because of the pump, but there are variations out there that use better pumps).

If you want to throw your GPU in, you'll need to make sure you have the appropriate amount of radiator space to dissipate the right amount of heat. Keep in mind that faster fans will dissipate more heat than slower fans when used on the same rad, so if you'd prefer quieter fans you'll need to compensate with more rad space.

RAM coolers are quite useless (are we talking fans or waterblocks?) IMHO - DDR3 produces so little heat that it's really just a waste of time and money. If you're doing it for looks then so be it, but it really is just for looks.
Related resources
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 13, 2012 4:03:12 AM

Quote:
Do i choose watercooling?
erm... well you need to decide on that fact, apparently the answer is staring up your nose :p 

Quote:
$150 but the pump will be compromised. 300 if you're going to want to add more raddage and some blocks for the mobo and gpu's in the future without worrying about flow rate/pressure.

Quote:
$400+/- depending on going with unversal blocks or full cover blocks. If you change GPU's often, stick with Uni's and if your fine with that one 570 and won't hange it for another 2 years, get a full cover. I like FC's basically cos they look sleek.

Quote:
What case do i use?
up to you, you can fit just about anything with case modding and well, maybe hang the rad off the back of case or up top above the case.

Quote:
i like the look of the NXTZ Phantom will it do?
google some images with the case+watercooling...i think theres a club for that case in overclock.net see how they've done with watercooling their rigs and if you like what they've done - maybe add your own twist to it.

Quote:
mobo's don't give off much heat, but you can add blocks to them only cos of aesthetics - you're actually better off having a 120mm fan blowing towards mosfets/vrms on mobo

Quote:
ram don't produce much heat now that they're avialable @ 1.35V and the highest now being 1.65V. The dimms i have run cool to the touch at 1.65V 1800MHz

Quote:
temps will go bad and you'll want to add fans to that mixture? this is more noise - they did have good results with Noctua NF P-12's but then again, with that kind of money - get a kit and build your loop.

hope these answer your questions.
April 14, 2012 7:58:58 AM

The corsair A50 doesn't look too bad, check it out if you want! I've seen good results with it so far.
!