Sign in with
Your question

Buy faster ram but only 4gb or buy 6gb of slower ram?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 21, 2010 8:57:51 PM

Hello, I am going to be upgrading my memory soon. But i would like to know what would be faster, i currently have 1x2gb stick of DDR3 1333 with 9-9-9-24 timing... and i am going to buy 4gb more but im wondering instead of just getting the same ram as before if i should just go for memory that has a lower latency just get less gbs or should i just buy the same ram an upgrade to 6gb of ram? im aware if i choose different ram that would mean i cant use my old stick... so what should i buy?
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2010 9:12:39 PM

This is confusing..Are you running an X58? It sounds like you are talking about dual channel.
I would just get 4 gb of lower latency ram. I don't see why you shouldn't get lower latency DDR3 1600 memory. Unless you have budgetary concerns then I think the obvious choice is to get 2 more gigs of matching ram, and don't worry about the latency.

My understanding of DDR3 memory is that low latency trumps high frequency-until you move to 1800 or higher speeds.
It would make it easier to know what platform you are talking about and if you will be overclocking.
May 21, 2010 9:37:25 PM

buzznut said:
This is confusing..Are you running an X58? It sounds like you are talking about dual channel.
I would just get 4 gb of lower latency ram. I don't see why you shouldn't get lower latency DDR3 1600 memory. Unless you have budgetary concerns then I think the obvious choice is to get 2 more gigs of matching ram, and don't worry about the latency.

My understanding of DDR3 memory is that low latency trumps high frequency-until you move to 1800 or higher speeds.
It would make it easier to know what platform you are talking about and if you will be overclocking.

I am running AM3 im going to be running a Phenom II x6 pretty soon
!