Prime95 Stable then Overclocking Failed

seekerjd

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
So I've got a small overclock on my 3960, 4.3, and it's stable through 12 hours of prime95 no problems.

Then, once while streaming videos and again while playing a basic flash game at kongregate the screen freezes up on me (no BSOD just total freeze on what I'm doing) and I have to shut down/turn it back on to get it working.

At this point I get the message "Overclocking failed". I don't think the overclock is the problem, any ideas what else this might be?

Which P95 test were you running? You can have a solid CPU overclock with the small fft's test, have memory fail, and give you the same symptoms.

Basically, the small fft's test is designed to stress test the CPU. The large fft's and blend tests are designed to put more stress on the memory. So to fully test a system, you should run both kinds of tests.

seekerjd

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

Well stable for each test, tried uninstalling/reinstalling a few things and I've cleaned up the registry. Nvm flash games still cause problems + whenever I stream movies the screen ends up freezing and I have to power down/reset.

Tried changing back to stock settings but the same freeze and error message happens. Would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.

If both P95 tests pass, the problem is probably not the CPU. That pretty much leaves the RAM or the GPU.

Return everything to stock settings - CPU, GPU, motherboard, and set RAM speed to DDR3-1333. Then start over.

First, run memtest86.

If that passes, try to duplicate the problem with everything at stock settings.

If everything passes, change one thing at a time and try to duplicate the problem.

It will be helpful to keep a test log.