Memory voltage question.

detritus

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I have a stick of Ultra DDR2, 2048MB, PC2-5300 667MHz. I'm building another computer, and the board I ordered has the lowest (default) setting at 1.950V. After some searching I found that the stick I have is listed for 1.8V. Will this work safely in the new mobo? I don't know enough about electricity application and don't want to take a chance on damaging the new board or the RAM.

I will not be overclocking, it will be just a basic build, a surfer with a single core AMD. I've read through a few threads here where people are talking about increased voltages and so on, and I think it will be safe, but I'd rather ask the question before installation.

I emailed Ultra's memory support last week, but still haven't received a reply, and I'm not sure if I ever will.

Thanks in advance for your help.

(When it comes to electricity, I haven't got a clue. Machines with moving parts, like gasoline engines, are my talent...I can see the moving parts in my mind...I can't grasp electricity.)

detritus

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
memvolt.jpg

I don't believe that a top tier motherboard manufacturer would build such a motherboard. If the minimum RAM voltage really is 1.9V, it will work, but make sure that airflow is good to keep the modules cool. Voltage is voltage and more voltage also means more heat.