Great cheapo case and power supply finds..

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Like one of the SMB cases, I have been using the Antec Two Hundred for a while now, and I really feel that it is a great basic chassis for any type of PC. Great cooling, strategicly mounted power supply, general ease of use not usually found in a case that can be had under 40 bucks on NEWEGG(35 local supplier) If I had a major complaint it would be that the front bezel is maye just a little odd for business applications. been trying to keep my eyes out so that if it goes out of production I will stock up on them so they last me a while.

Power supplies- I find that there is a decent LOGISYS PS600A12 that works exceptionally well.. more than 98% of real world pc will run just fine on 600w , especially with a single rail 12v+. also available less than 40 bucks.. (35 at my local supplier)
Comments?

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Update: It is not listed as being 80+ but the boxes have been comming labeled as such. Have not the equipment to test for sure.. Maybe Tom's could include it in a power supply roundup for budget machines? I have used it in quad cores, SLI and multi drive systems with no failures... at the price it also gets used in budget systems ..

The Antec Two Hundred is new model. It's going to be a few years before it goes out of production.

I have to agree with your comment about the corporate/mainstream arena. It usually doesn't take much to power an office desktop. Scientific applications, Engineering, and Graphic Design would be a different matter. Here at Tom's Hardware the community is dominated by gamers and enthusiasts. They're often on the cutting edge of new technology.

Normally Google is my friend; however, I didn't find any competent technical reviews for the specific model. I did take a look at reviews of several other models. Generally speaking, the power supplies are adequate for typical mainstream users but not for hardcore gamers into serious overclocking on a do or die mission to save the planet from alien invaders. Typically the +12 volt rail is weak.

I checked the 80+database. There are two Logysis models listed - the AD-1550A79 and the PS750X14. Both of them are listed as being the standard 80+ compliant. No bronze, Silver, or Gold certifications for them. There were no other Logisys psu's listed.

Love the low end Antec cases, got a couple of NSK 2000's sitting here now.
I don't believe there is such a thing as a "decent" Logisys power supply, especially when it has a little voltage switch and less 12v power than an Antec EA380.