Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this worth it for 1700

Last response: in Components
Share
Anonymous
February 1, 2010 12:31:47 AM

Hello,
while i am used to upgrading existing computers i am a novice at building so it would be nice if you fellas could tell me if im going to be ripped off. Also, i would like to know if there is anything im missing or is something better for the same or nearly the same price or if any parts are not worth it or if somethings are not compatable

Motherboard:
EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support--$270

power supply:
XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply

Case:
Cooler Master HAF 932 AMD Special Edition ATX Full Tower Case - ATX, 7x Expansion Slots, 2x 120mm Fan Ports, Acrylic AMD Dragon Side Panel

Graphics Card
BFG GeForce GTX 275 OverClocked Video Card - 896MB, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI (w/ Adapter)

OS:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD

RAM:
OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory

Hard drive:
Seagate ST32000641AS Barracuda XT Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200 RPM, SATA 6G, 64MB Cache

CPU
Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, HyperThreading, Bloomfield, Retail

Im still undecided on a audio card to use i want to hook it up to an HDMI surround sound system but dont want to spend an arm and a leg. i was thinking of an RCA card and buying an adaptor. Also, will this graphics card produce good visuals on a 73 inch dlp tv? and lastly im just ripping out the dvd drive from an old build to save some green. suggestions are, agian, very much appreciated. thank you.

(sorry if i put this in the wrong thread)

More about : worth 1700

February 1, 2010 7:11:42 AM

That pSU is about twice the wattage your PC needs.
Get a 550W-600W PSU.
That'll do fine
Other thoughts:

This looks excellent.

If you can add up some more, I would suggest a 40GB SSD for Operating System.

Again,
If you can add up some more, I would suggest 2 5770 in CrossFire.
At $320, they will give you performance close to or on-par with $400 5870.
But,

If you don't play games at all:
Save money for a SSD and get a Radeon 4670 HD.

If you often play games:
Get a 5750 HD
February 1, 2010 11:02:49 AM

you need to change the memory configuration as i7920's use DDR3 memory in two channels / three slots.

so you would be looking at 3 x 1gb or 3 x 2gb memory sticks.
Related resources
February 1, 2010 11:19:23 AM

Memory needs changing.

Take a look at

OCZ 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Obsidian Triple Channel Memory Kit CL9
February 1, 2010 12:49:27 PM

mfarrukh said:
That pSU is about twice the wattage your PC needs.
Get a 550W-600W PSU.
That'll do fine
Other thoughts:

This looks excellent.

If you can add up some more, I would suggest a 40GB SSD for Operating System.

Again,
If you can add up some more, I would suggest 2 5770 in CrossFire.
At $320, they will give you performance close to or on-par with $400 5870.
But,

If you don't play games at all:
Save money for a SSD and get a Radeon 4670 HD.

If you often play games:
Get a 5750 HD


It might be what you meant, but just telling the poster of this thread.

PSUs often work the most efficient when it's at 50-60 percent usage, so you might wanna calculate how much juice you need to feed your components with, and get something that's about 250 to 300 watt above it.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
February 1, 2010 1:24:30 PM


HD 5850 is better than the GTX 275 by quite a bit and it can be found for cheaper, or at least very close to the same price.

Everything else looks awesome. Is it worth $1700? kinda, I doubt you actually NEED all that power though. What is this computer being used for?

1000W is definitely overkill, most you would need is a 750 and even then you wouldn't use more than 60% of that.

Also, it's been stated that you need to change your RAM to DDR3 since you have DDR2 on your list.

To be honest, any computer over $1000 is kinda for show unless you do something specific that you know needs that kind of power.

It's better to build computers with better price/performance ratios and then just upgrade them over time instead of dropping huge amounts of cash on current technology in one buy.

Of course, if you're rich, it doesn't matter. That computer is very powerful and will last a while either way. You could probably get very good performance from a computer for 50% the price though too and wouldn't notice a huge difference.
February 1, 2010 1:51:39 PM

Alex - The old rule about power supplies operating most efficiently at 50% of maximum wattage is no longer valid. Modern energy efficient power supplies now operate efficiently between 20% and 100% of maximum wattage. That is the new standard. That is the operating range used for certifying power supplies at 80+. The corporate/mainstream arena is the source of the push for more energy efficiency. It is a means of reducing business expenses. The push just happened to benefit gamers and enthusiasts also.

On the other hand there are still a lot of low budget, low quality, inefficient power supplies of questionable performance and value. Gamers and enthusists should avoid them. There is no point in taking a risk.
February 2, 2010 7:13:52 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
Alex - The old rule about power supplies operating most efficiently at 50% of maximum wattage is no longer valid. Modern energy efficient power supplies now operate efficiently between 20% and 100% of maximum wattage. That is the new standard. That is the operating range used for certifying power supplies at 80+. The corporate/mainstream arena is the source of the push for more energy efficiency. It is a means of reducing business expenses. The push just happened to benefit gamers and enthusiasts also.

On the other hand there are still a lot of low budget, low quality, inefficient power supplies of questionable performance and value. Gamers and enthusists should avoid them. There is no point in taking a risk.


Forgive me, I must be too old-fashioned!
February 7, 2010 3:16:41 PM

I have to agree on the PSU, overkill. With 4 5970's and an i7 975 Extreame, I could justify it. Otherwise, 750 watts is more than enough. Corsair's reputation in the industry can't be beat. I also agree with Alex. At the price point where they are now, I'd be looking at 2 4670's. I've seen charts where they perform almost as well in Crossfire as a single GTX 295. If your looking for a card with RCA jacks for analog to digital audio editing, M-Audio's Audiophile 2496 is the card for you. But if surround sound is what your after, I'd be looking at the Asus Xonar series. I've heard many praises for HT Omega as well. Feel free to ignor anything that Creative has. Thier quality has suffered badly and the company seems quite omnipitant about it with poor customer service. Apparently, they feel thier farts don't stink. For your memory, look at something at 1333Mhz instead of the 800 you are considering. Again, I'd be looking at Corsair or Crucial. With those changes, you should be down to around the $1200 range.
February 8, 2010 10:27:28 AM

mrmazo said:
I have to agree on the PSU, overkill. With 4 5970's and an i7 975 Extreame, I could justify it. Otherwise, 750 watts is more than enough. Corsair's reputation in the industry can't be beat. I also agree with Alex. At the price point where they are now, I'd be looking at 2 4670's. I've seen charts where they perform almost as well in Crossfire as a single GTX 295. If your looking for a card with RCA jacks for analog to digital audio editing, M-Audio's Audiophile 2496 is the card for you. But if surround sound is what your after, I'd be looking at the Asus Xonar series. I've heard many praises for HT Omega as well. Feel free to ignor anything that Creative has. Thier quality has suffered badly and the company seems quite omnipitant about it with poor customer service. Apparently, they feel thier farts don't stink. For your memory, look at something at 1333Mhz instead of the 800 you are considering. Again, I'd be looking at Corsair or Crucial. With those changes, you should be down to around the $1200 range.


Better listen to what this guy has to say!
February 20, 2010 5:23:50 AM

alexcheng said:
Better listen to what this guy has to say!

Thanks for the thumbs up, Alex :D 
February 20, 2010 3:07:21 PM

Quote:
Hello,
while i am used to upgrading existing computers i am a novice at building so it would be nice if you fellas could tell me if im going to be ripped off. Also, i would like to know if there is anything im missing or is something better for the same or nearly the same price or if any parts are not worth it or if somethings are not compatable

Motherboard:
EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support--$270

power supply:
XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply

Case:
Cooler Master HAF 932 AMD Special Edition ATX Full Tower Case - ATX, 7x Expansion Slots, 2x 120mm Fan Ports, Acrylic AMD Dragon Side Panel

Graphics Card
BFG GeForce GTX 275 OverClocked Video Card - 896MB, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI (w/ Adapter)

OS:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD

RAM:
OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory

Hard drive:
Seagate ST32000641AS Barracuda XT Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200 RPM, SATA 6G, 64MB Cache

CPU
Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, HyperThreading, Bloomfield, Retail

Im still undecided on a audio card to use i want to hook it up to an HDMI surround sound system but dont want to spend an arm and a leg. i was thinking of an RCA card and buying an adaptor. Also, will this graphics card produce good visuals on a 73 inch dlp tv? and lastly im just ripping out the dvd drive from an old build to save some green. suggestions are, agian, very much appreciated. thank you.

(sorry if i put this in the wrong thread)


^It will need some tweaking, first off, wack the 1KW PSU and get a 600-700watt PSU it will be more then enough.
I am not sure but i think i7's require DDR3 memory, Dual channel 4GB will work fine with an i7 920 however the less bandwidth won't be using its full potential, but it still will work. The best config would be triple channeled DDR3 at 6GB.
-That case is nice but are paying extra for the AMD special edition, however on newegg i think the amd has a discount making it equal in price.
-The videocard is also a kickass one, but it will be a better investment to get ATI's DX11 cards, the 5xxx series since win7 and newer games will support DX11.
-Your motherboard won't support SATA 6 and USB 3, similarly priced mobos from ASUS, and GIGbyte i am pretty sure has these features.
-your seagate drive does support sata 6GB but if thats the reason you are buying, you are wrong, get a hard drive that has speed/reliability, HDD's cant break the SATA I barrier much yet (barely)...so i wouldn't consider its connection.
!