Sign in with
Your question

Water cooling design

Last response: in Overclocking
April 13, 2012 8:12:15 AM

Alright i guess ill just dive right in and ask:

Is there any possibility for my design to NOT work in this manner?
Before i show the design let me tell you about my case-its a xigmatek elysium. Its huge lol

alright heres the design....verbally! Im too lazy to actually upload a pic but if necc i will do it, in the mean time let me try to explain it verbally.

I want my system to follow this way of flow ->
res1>pump1>rad1>cpu>res1
i will have two rads so then after it finishes the first loop it will go to
res1>pump1>rad2>gpu>res1.

IF i do it this way can i keep my cpu and my gpu cool. I probably dont need two loops here but i just wanted to try it this way and see if it works? But since my first time thought id ask the community if someone had tried it this way?
Also would it make a difference if i got two resovoirs instead of just one? Lets say it doesnt make a difference, if i wanted to do it just for looks could i do it?

Thanks guys

More about : water cooling design

a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2012 9:05:45 AM

yaitsmeokay said:
Alright i guess ill just dive right in and ask:

Is there any possibility for my design to NOT work in this manner?
Before i show the design let me tell you about my case-its a xigmatek elysium. Its huge lol

alright heres the design....verbally! Im too lazy to actually upload a pic but if necc i will do it, in the mean time let me try to explain it verbally.

res1>pump1>rad1>cpu>res1

IF i do it this way can i keep my cpu and my gpu cool. I probably dont need two loops here but i just wanted to try it this way and see if it works? But since my first time thought id ask the community if someone had tried it this way?
Also would it make a difference if i got two resovoirs instead of just one? Lets say it doesnt make a difference, if i wanted to do it just for looks could i do it?

Thanks guys

well, I don't know for shore but that's the logic I use, it makes since that if isolate the CPU, from the GPU, you should be able to in theory, remove more heat from the system. but what do I know :sarcastic: 
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 13, 2012 3:05:48 PM

Quote:
res1>pump1>rad1>cpu>res1

Loop order does not matter for temps. You could rearrange your loop and see less than 1-2C difference in temps each time.

Running a single loop with the same hardware you'd otherwise use for dual loops will result in the single loop cooling better than dual. You are allowing all the radiator space to cool all components. There also isn't really a need for 2 pumps, unless you want redundancy. Most good pumps last 5 years or more (depending on use and how well they are cared for) so if you have the extra money to burn, go for it.

Loop order doesn't matter, but having the reservoir outlet feeding into your pump inlet allows you to easily fill your loop. Also, it helps when bleeding air when the reservoir is higher than the pump and setup reservoir > pump.

Quote:

Reservoirs do nothing for temperatures except allow a little longer time for water to reach operating equilibrium. You can have as many as you like, but the only thing they will really do is just add total volume to your loop. You won't see any cooling benefit as most reservoirs are mainly acrylic or acetal or both (very poor heat conductors).
Related resources
April 13, 2012 7:33:22 PM

thanks for the info guys. Rubix fyi i have been reading your watercooling sticky alot. Thanks lot man, it has helped me quite a bit!
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 13, 2012 7:33:30 PM

**Also would it make a difference if i got two resovoirs instead of just one? Lets say it doesnt make a difference, if i wanted to do it just for looks could i do it?**
As Rubix says, performance-wise theres no real difference but if its for looks then sure, some resses look better in pairs
Moto
April 15, 2012 4:03:09 PM

looks is all you should be concerned with beyond res>pump>cpu
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 15, 2012 6:40:30 PM

:p 
<Ordering fourth res on friday :D 
Moto
!