Sign in with
Your question

DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity frequently won't post?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 22, 2010 3:13:20 AM

I recently acquired a DFI NF4 Ultra infinity motherboard (socket 939) with an AMD Opteron 165. The machine appears to be fully functional, but frequently won't post when I try to reboot it after shutting the machine down (or occasionally when it goes into suspend mode). If I unplug the power (or just flip the switch on the PSU for a while), and then plug it back in it will boot fine.

If I just turn it off, though, a lot of the time the power will come on, and the fans will spin, but the video never initializes and the BIOS never posts. No beeps or anything.

I have a Geforce 9600 GT and 4 x 512MB (2 GB) of RAM. This happens regardless of overclocking settings, and the PSU is a known good one from Zalman. Also, the temperatures and voltage all appear to be well within normal limits. Also, it has a new 3V backup battery.

Anyone have any experience with one of these boards just acting really flaky?
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2010 3:55:43 AM

brietech said:
I recently acquired a DFI NF4 Ultra infinity motherboard (socket 939) with an AMD Opteron 165. The machine appears to be fully functional, but frequently won't post when I try to reboot it after shutting the machine down (or occasionally when it goes into suspend mode). If I unplug the power (or just flip the switch on the PSU for a while), and then plug it back in it will boot fine.

If I just turn it off, though, a lot of the time the power will come on, and the fans will spin, but the video never initializes and the BIOS never posts. No beeps or anything.

I have a Geforce 9600 GT and 4 x 512MB (2 GB) of RAM. This happens regardless of overclocking settings, and the PSU is a known good one from Zalman. Also, the temperatures and voltage all appear to be well within normal limits. Also, it has a new 3V backup battery.

Anyone have any experience with one of these boards just acting really flaky?

I build a machine with that very board a few years back. Only issue I had with it is fan noise from the chipset fan. I encountered no other issues and the machine is still in daily use to this day.

I have however had an issue similar to what you describe, but on a socket 754 board. I resolved it with a bios update. That is where I would start.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/portal/CM/cmproduct/XX_cmproddeta...

Make sure this is your board first.

m
l
May 22, 2010 11:26:17 PM

Updating the bios to the latest one is the first thing I tried.

I'm pretty sure that there is some kind of BIOS problem related to going into 'suspend' or 'sleep' mode, and whenever the computer tries to do that, it can't wake up and requires me to toggle the power before I can reboot (even if I hold down the power button to manually power it off, I can't post until I kill power to the motherboard completely).

m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2010 12:00:00 AM

brietech said:
Updating the bios to the latest one is the first thing I tried.

I'm pretty sure that there is some kind of BIOS problem related to going into 'suspend' or 'sleep' mode, and whenever the computer tries to do that, it can't wake up and requires me to toggle the power before I can reboot (even if I hold down the power button to manually power it off, I can't post until I kill power to the motherboard completely).

Same problem here....no luck resuming from Sleep. In fact after I reboot it says "resuming windows" even though I disabled that from the power profile.

I'm about ready to trash this and buy a new board/chip as this was going to be an HTPC...and absolutley need Sleep to function properly.

BTW, this is a clean new install of Win 7 Ultimate....removed all peripherials except the Video card (ati 5450), thinking that one of the components was not sleep-friendly, but that was not the case...it's this board.

Good luck.
m
l
!