Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P6TD Deluxe back plate not removeable?

Last response: in Systems
November 17, 2009 7:33:49 PM

Just received all my new parts for my rig and I am trying to install my Scythe Mugen 2 heat sync. The directions state I should remove the original back plate but will absolutely not budge. I have removed the top portion on the top of the mobo but the orginal back plate will not come off.

I installed the heat sync anyways but far from how the instructions with the Scythe show. I am concerned that contact between the CPU and heat sync might not be the best. I am showing 41 degrees C in bios with the CPU OC'd at 3.4Ghz . This is the exact same as the mobo temp.

Should I be worried?

Specs are:
Core i7 920
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
Scythe Mugen 2

Thanks for any advice!
November 17, 2009 8:39:01 PM

Return that Scythe Mugen 2 and get a Prolimatech Megahalems. You shouldn't have to remove the backplate to install a heat sink. It's a poor design if you have to do that.
m
l
November 23, 2009 7:00:21 PM

toastyy said:
Just received all my new parts for my rig and I am trying to install my Scythe Mugen 2 heat sync. The directions state I should remove the original back plate but will absolutely not budge. I have removed the top portion on the top of the mobo but the orginal back plate will not come off.

I installed the heat sync anyways but far from how the instructions with the Scythe show. I am concerned that contact between the CPU and heat sync might not be the best. I am showing 41 degrees C in bios with the CPU OC'd at 3.4Ghz . This is the exact same as the mobo temp.

Should I be worried?

Specs are:
Core i7 920
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
Scythe Mugen 2

Thanks for any advice!

I have the same Asus board. I put in the Prolimatech Megahalems and it was very easy. The P6td is very rigid and sturdy and can support a large heatsink. I wouldn't mess with removing back plates.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2009 5:47:28 PM

salamooch said:
I have the same Asus board. I put in the Prolimatech Megahalems and it was very easy. The P6td is very rigid and sturdy and can support a large heatsink. I wouldn't mess with removing back plates.

How did u put in the prolimatech? Doesnt it also require you to remove the original motherboard backplate and put in the one they gave you?
m
l
November 30, 2009 1:50:10 AM

Prolimatech does not require you to remove the backplate
m
l
!