ASUS P6TD Deluxe back plate not removeable?

Just received all my new parts for my rig and I am trying to install my Scythe Mugen 2 heat sync. The directions state I should remove the original back plate but will absolutely not budge. I have removed the top portion on the top of the mobo but the orginal back plate will not come off.

I installed the heat sync anyways but far from how the instructions with the Scythe show. I am concerned that contact between the CPU and heat sync might not be the best. I am showing 41 degrees C in bios with the CPU OC'd at 3.4Ghz . This is the exact same as the mobo temp.

Should I be worried?

Specs are:
Core i7 920
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
Scythe Mugen 2

Thanks for any advice!
4 answers Last reply
More about asus p6td deluxe back plate removeable
  1. Return that Scythe Mugen 2 and get a Prolimatech Megahalems. You shouldn't have to remove the backplate to install a heat sink. It's a poor design if you have to do that.
  2. toastyy said:
    Just received all my new parts for my rig and I am trying to install my Scythe Mugen 2 heat sync. The directions state I should remove the original back plate but will absolutely not budge. I have removed the top portion on the top of the mobo but the orginal back plate will not come off.

I installed the heat sync anyways but far from how the instructions with the Scythe show. I am concerned that contact between the CPU and heat sync might not be the best. I am showing 41 degrees C in bios with the CPU OC'd at 3.4Ghz . This is the exact same as the mobo temp.

Should I be worried?

Specs are:
    Core i7 920
    ASUS P6TD Deluxe
    Scythe Mugen 2

Thanks for any advice!

I have the same Asus board. I put in the Prolimatech Megahalems and it was very easy. The P6td is very rigid and sturdy and can support a large heatsink. I wouldn't mess with removing back plates.
  3. salamooch said:
    I have the same Asus board. I put in the Prolimatech Megahalems and it was very easy. The P6td is very rigid and sturdy and can support a large heatsink. I wouldn't mess with removing back plates.

How did u put in the prolimatech? Doesnt it also require you to remove the original motherboard backplate and put in the one they gave you?
  4. Prolimatech does not require you to remove the backplate
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Heat Systems