No Post Beeps on a New System Build

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I've already went through the check list on the Read before posting about Boot problems! I am also reusing my old case.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor Model HDZ550WFGIBOX

Video card: MSI R4350-MD512H Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Memory: OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV4GK - Retail

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB SATA 7200 RPM 32MB Buffer Hard Drive Bulk

After installing all the components and making sure everything is in all the right places and grounding myself I turn on the computer and fans start spinning wich means their power but no motherboard beeps and no video signal to my monitor. I'm thinking maybe video card issue? So i go to Fred Meyer and buy a video card and still the same problem. My rommate who works at microsoft who is a computer programmers says it could be the MOBO or the CPU. So I go to FRYES and buy the exact same MOBO and test it out the same results. So now we are thinking it's the CPU causing the probelm. What do you guys think?

You obviously didn't perform every step in the checklist. #2 is by far the most common mistake. Are you absolutely sure that both the main 24-pin motherboard power connector AND the 8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket are both plugged in?

Does your old case have a system speaker? If so, have you plugged it in? Your motherboard doesn't have a built-in speaker, so you have to install one if you want to be able to hear the beep codes (step #15 in the checklist).

Have you performed steps 6 - 8 to rule out your RAM as the cause of the problem?

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Yes, I did plugged them.

Yes, I have system speakers and yes I plugged all the wires in correctly. And yes I check to see if it could be a RAM Issue by testing the ram sticks 1 at a tim and make sure they were in the right ram slots.

I'm just wodering if your cpu is DOA would it or would it not POST beeps? It's been awhile since I ran into an issue building a computer.

If you dont have a cheap speaker plugged into the motherboard you wont hear any beeps. Do you have an old computer you can steal from another computer to plug in?
(See the motherboard manual connector diagram (FPANEL on page 28 of the pdf) for where to plug it in.)
*edit - you posted you did have a speaker while I was reading the motherboard manual.

I find it interesting the motherboard manual cover says Phenom II x3 and x4 motherboards. Not sure if that is from before the x2 existed or its not compatible. You might want to contact Gigabyte tech support to be sure.

pcguy_09

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Before you replace the CPU, rule out the RAM, remove 1 channel or RAM. Reboot, same result, swap other channel of RAM and retry. If you still have the same result it could very likely be a DOA CPU.

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

No it didnt have any bent pins. It Doesnt beep even if it has ram installed. No I have not breadboard the system. When I was installing the MOBO I made sure that nothing was touching the MOBO so that it would not cause any shorts. I know this from past experiences.

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Right! I've done that already.

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

I've tested the computer case speaker and it does work. My rommate thought the same thing as you. He thought that maybe the x2 was not compatable with my MOBO but we double checked the Gigabyte website and it is.

pcguy_09

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Possibly a weak power supply as well.
You may also want to try some different RAM. Default DDR3 voltage is 1.5v I believe. The RAM you listed is 1.65v. I don't think this would cause a problem on boot, but it might.

I would also pull all the RAM, just to see if it beeps.

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Thanks everyone for your help! I'm thinking it is the CPU. I'm gonna send it back to Newegg and get a replacement. I'll give update when I get the replacement.

Its just as probable that the motherboard, video card, ram and psu are the cause too if so more - CPU is rare to DOA as its almost a single part

If your motherboard has onboard video try it, and test everything outside the case on something that wont short it all out - try just psu, motherboard and ram and use something to short the power button and see what happens

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Update- So I got my replacement CPU back from NewEgg and you guys were right it's not the CPU. I am still having the same issue. I even went and got a new video card. This time I took my mother board out of the case and set it on the nonstatic bag and turned it on. Same Results! No video signal to my monitor.

What esle can I do? I almost wanna take it to a computer shop have them figure it out. Damn this is the most stressful build.

Basic troubleshooting - what components have you not swapped out?
List everything, check off what you have swapped out. Start swapping whats left on the list. Dont forget externals like keyboard, mouse, power strip, wall power, the installer, etc. (I am serious about swapping "the installer". Unplug everything and let someone else re-cable it; maybe they will see something different than you.)

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

I have swapped out cpu, Motherboard, video card.

I have not swapped out the memory but I have done 1 memory module at a time.

I took everything apart and let my Roommate who works at Microsoft has build many computers put it together with the same results.

We are both left scratching our heads.

power supply? <It sounds like this is the most likely>
wall power? <take the parts to your friends house and assemble there>
power strip/ups?
keyboard?
mouse?
monitor?
you breadboarded it with no connection to the case?
plugging in the bare minimum to get into bios (motherboard, PSU, graphics card, keyboard)?

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Ok, I have not swapped the power supply.

Tried a different power plug to wall instead of power strip.

Keyboards i didnt plug in this time nor the mouse.

I don't have a breadboard and wouldn't know how to do that anyways.

Could not get into the bios or even get any POST beeps.

niyo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Update:

I finally figured it out. After staring at the motherboard for about 15 mins 1 day I decided to make sure every cable was connected securely and after doing that I turned it on and it just worked. It beep and posted like normal. I believe it was a lose power cable.

I feel like an idiot. :pt1cable:

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I was not careful enough nor was my roommate.