Q9550 dangerous temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

actually, these cpus are designed to run up to a max temp of 100c and will throttle down if it meets or exced these temps.

Here an very old video, but it shows the p4 and p3 which have this over heat protection. (todays cpu from both amd and intel have improved on this.)

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/y39D4529FM4[/flash]

Now on average those temps are high compared to others. I would do as the others have said and that getting some thermal compound (like arctic sliver 5), remove the old thermal compound of the cpu and HSF, and follow the direction on applying the stuff.
I'd say that those temps are quite high. How long since you noticed this? Do you have it over clocked? I believe for the core 2 quads the max safe temp. is between 70-75 C (correct me if I am wrong). If you have it over clocked, it would be a great idea to invest in a 3rd party cooler to get those temps down. With the SpinTechQ and a lap job, my q9400 doesn't even hit 60C under full load from super pi or intel burn test; a similar set up may be worth looking into.

actually, these cpus are designed to run up to a max temp of 100c and will throttle down if it meets or exced these temps.

Here an very old video, but it shows the p4 and p3 which have this over heat protection. (todays cpu from both amd and intel have improved on this.)

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/y39D4529FM4[/flash]

Now on average those temps are high compared to others. I would do as the others have said and that getting some thermal compound (like arctic sliver 5), remove the old thermal compound of the cpu and HSF, and follow the direction on applying the stuff.

Solution

D_ii_4_I3_L_o

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if im brining this off topic, but are you basically saying that cpu cooler involves with everything that has to do with the cpu temperture increasing decrease and all? I'm new, just started about a month ago and I'm not sure with all the cooling departments. I plan to OC my i7 920 & I have a real decent pre-built computer but i'm not sure if the stock cpu cooling system will be able to handle the OC. With what specifications could you tell if the cpu cooler is for high performance gaming ?

Have a read through the stickies over here and start a thread there to ask your questions concerning your specific setup rather than hijacking this thread.

D_ii_4_I3_L_o

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

haha, Yea I felt if I was to start a new topic, people would argue to do some research, so I just tried to use this as a refrenace, and I was hoping that I wouldn't disable this thread of its objective. I felt I was on point until I asked about the cpu cooling specifications. Hope this unoffends you :hello:

I was not offended, but in a 'help' thread the idea is to contribute possible solutions to the original question not derail it with a personal question concerning a different CPU to be operated under different conditions.

D_ii_4_I3_L_o

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I though below 30, is one serious cpu cooler, but over 30 seems to be to high for you. My idl around 39, and this poor old folk manages to get a max of 80-90, now just imagine what his idle temperture must be at. I'm guessing 45-60, Could be some serious dust issues, if he hasn't replied to none of the respond. Yet it's only been roughly 12H since the TC posted.

ptizz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I have a q9550 running at 3.6Ghz with a thermalright ultra 120. My temps never get above 60c even under benchmarking conditions. I think that the q9550 has a "thermal limit" of 71c.

No matter what the limit is though you are running much much much much to hot. get a better cooler or get ready to buy a new cpu. either way your gonna be spending money soon.

peyman_tp

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
thanks for all the responses. my cpu is not oced and i do realized that those temps are very dangerous and i am planning on getting a new cooler (the monstrous Noctua nh-d14). my question is: are those temps unusual for a oem cooler? i would think not because if intel is going to provide a cooler for its cpu, it would at least try to keep the temps safe as long as there's no overclock. I'm just wondering if i did something wrong in the installation (cpu or fan or thermal compound). thanks again.

D_ii_4_I3_L_o

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Lol correct me if im wrong but I'm pretty sure those Q's were answered. Q1 yes there unsual for an OEM[Original Equipment Manufacter]cooler to give away such temperture to your cpu. Which brings the questions is your computer pre-built & if it is have you modified it youself. ? Answer to your Q2 The Fan might of not been seated onto the cpu properly not giving its ability to fully perform. So that means you'd need to reseat your cpu cooling fan using the thermal paste.

peyman_tp

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
thanks again i bought a new cooler (corsair h50 with dual fans on the rad) and now my cpu (oced to 3.5 Ghz) doesn't go higher than 45C after an hour of prime95 and another hour of GTA IV. thou i hope i didn't damage the cpu much with the oem cooler.

You didn't. The CPU shuts down before it gets damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.