zjmaniak

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I'm running a Gateway GT5220 with 3.5gb RAM, Creative soundcard and a Nvidia 8600 GTS. I've been having a lot of problems with it freezing on me while playing games. The graphics aren't too high because I usually just adjust the resolution and nothing else. Usually I can't get out of it at all but I was able to get an error and I'm pretty sure it said nv4_disp or something like that. I've had my graphics card for several years now and I'm not sure if my mobo is jacked up or my graphics card. Any ideas?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Shut down, disconnect power, and open up your case. If you see a lot of dust, remove it with compressed air. Don't use a vaccuum, for the love of god. Turn on your computer with the side open, so you can see if the fan is still working. The dinky fans on those cards can easily clog up with dust. If you have cats, or smokers in the house, do not ignore this step. Dust/hair buildups can easily overheat components by providing an insulating layer between the heatsink and the airflow. Monitor your temps with a program like GPU-Z. Free download, just be sure to enable background updating in the sensors tab.

If this provides no solice from your ills, then take a look at upgrading your drivers. You may need a program like Driver Sweeper (also free) to completely remove the old ones before installing new ones, but you may be able to skip that step if new drivers install without errors.

zjmaniak

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I cleaned it (it definitely needed it) and I downloaded the GPU-Z. My card is running around 60C and it still freezes. On a sidenote, I've been having trouble with my speakers. Randomly I will only get sound from the left speaker and the woofer but not the right. Fidgeting with the jack in and out will do the trick but I'm starting to think maybe these two problems are related to the MOBO. I don't know if that helps...