James2010

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hi

I am lloking at building a new PC for home and for a fair amount of gaming....

I am looking at:

-GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3P LGA1156 Core i7/i5 Intel P55 ATX Motherboard
-Intel i5/750
-Corsair RAM 1600 (PC12600) 2x2GB 240 Pin DDR3
-ATI Radeon 5850 PCiE
-Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS - Hard drive - 1.5 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - buffer: 64 MB (WD15EARS)
-SAMSUNG SH-S222A Black IDE 22x DVD RW burner (OEM)
- COOLER MASTER RC-932-KKN1-GP HAF 932 (black) full tower
- OS Microsoft FQC-00765 Windows 7 Professional 64BIT English DSP OEI 1-Pack

This will be matched with an Acer X233H monitor which I already have.

Now I need a power supply, looking at probably a 550 or 650W, decent quality, but I don't want to dish out lots of money for one I don't really need. Some of them are Very expensive. From what I understand I just need the right number of PCiE pins for the ATI 5850 and preferably a certified unit, 80?? I was thinking a Corsair as some of the other Cooler master EVO etc ones are ridiculously expensive.....

The next issue I have is I need some advice from someone about what components will and wont match with this set up.

Will the GPU fit the M/B and will all that fit in this case ok?

Also will any of these component clash with each other compatibility wise....?

I am hoping to wrap this all up for around AUD$1500 or so...so I really need to be price conscious on the M/B and PSU in particular ie I don't want to buy a whole heap of features I don't need, I just want quality and reliability not bells and whistles...!!!

Thanks for any help in advance.

James

Solution
The components you selected are compatible with each other.

I have the Coolermaster HAF 932 for my backup system. It is a huge beast. All of your components will fit inside the case with room to spare.

Here are the official power requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 video card:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

If you are certain you will only be installing just one 5850 video card, then a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply such as the...

mfarrukh

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
PSU of 550W of good Quality will do a fine job, provided you wont add another GPU

Yes, you have choosen a nioce motherboard and it can hold upto 2 GPUs.

Everything is just awesome.

GooD LucK

The components you selected are compatible with each other.

I have the Coolermaster HAF 932 for my backup system. It is a huge beast. All of your components will fit inside the case with room to spare.

Here are the official power requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 video card:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

If you are certain you will only be installing just one 5850 video card, then a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply such as the Corsair VX550 will be sufficient:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

If you think you might add a second video card in the future, then a high quality power supply such as the Corsair TX650 will be sufficient for future needs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Solution

James2010

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
THanks guys

I think I might go for the Corsair 650W PSU, I can get one for AUD$95. However does the Gigabyte allow for 2xPCiE @ full speed ie. does it have 2 x 16 slots for cross fire. Or do you not need 2x16 ie. 1x16 for first card and 1x8 or 4 for second??

I can get this

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX motherboard 2xPCI-E(x16)/3xPCI-E(x1)/2xPCI/4xDDR3/SATA3 Raid/Lan(gb)/USB3.0

for around AUD$180 - it seems to spec 2x16 PCI-E.

So I imagine that is what you are refering to. It is probably worth while having the upgradeability as the 5850's will eventually come down in price and be cheap to get a second one on board later.....

So I am assuming the Corsair 650TX has everything needed in a PSU to run crossfire 2/5850's?????

Mi1ez - Why spinpoint? what advantage? $ or speed, reliability? I have heard a couple of bad reports on the spinpoint ie... that they die!!! Maybe rumours but you do have to take them into account....

Mi1ez - Why the HX520 over the VX?? IS there a reason you wopuld not go for the - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail - Assuming I am planning future crossfire when card prices drop??

I thought certified PSU was always a better bet for the few dollars more???

The RAM is the only other area I am not sure on, I dont want to dish out the $$ for the 2200 but I need 1600... PC12800. Anyone got any ideas/advice on RAM with regards to quality Vs value ie. once again I dont want to buy RAM that is designed for the PLC of NASA's latest rocket ship, just to run my games??? Once again I understand quality is important with RAM but I also understand that a "Name" can cost money for no reason too....

If I can cut a few dollars off the price without sacrificing my requirements then I am happy...

Thanks again

James

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The samsung spinpoint f3 is the newest of the 500gb platter generation. It's uber fast only being beat by Western Digital black/raid editions. It is also one of the coolest/quietest running HDD's available. If I remember correctly it was #1 in temperatures, and #3 on noise.

Edit: I own one, and I will soon get another for Raid +0.

TRENDING THREADS