Graphics Card: Asus EAH5850 DirectCU
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, 4GB
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 125W
HDD: WD 1TB 7200rpm Caviar Black
PSU: Antec EA650 650watt
Case: Antec Three Hundred
Disc Drive: Asus 24x DVD Writer

I have a problem that seems to be very hard to diagnose:

-I have been having problems in which after an extended period of time after my computer has been shut down, overnight, when I start it back up and try to load up Battlefield Bad Company 2, I usually get a blue screen. When the computer loads back up and i try again, and the same thing happens.
-While trying to diagnose this problem I have made sure all my drivers are up to date. I have reformatted a few times once i thought the problem was fixed.
-The first time I thought the issue was fixed was due to having drivers for an Asus EAH5750 gpu. I then was able to play BFBC2 with no crashes. But the next morning when I went to try again, I got a series of bsod.
-The second time I thought the issue was fixed was when I inspected the PSU connections and I found that the 8pin ATX12V power connector was not secured fully. After this I tried to run the game and I was able to play fine for a few hours before I shut it down for the night.
-This morning I turn it on, load BFBC2. I get to the point where a map is loading and it blue screened

The strange thing is that after I fretfully tried to fix the problem that i was never 100% sure of its origin, I was always able to play games etc normally with no crashing. This leads me to believe the issue has something to do with trying to play after a cold boot.

If anyone can help me I would be so grateful. This issue is quite perplexing.

daftendirekt

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
The BSOD appears and quickly disappears as the system reboots. If it happens again i may try and take a pic of my screen but it comes and goes to quick to examine the details.
I'll try running memtest and ill post the results

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
How long did you run memtest for?

Set it going for a good 8 hours, if that's returned clean they still might not be working properly (it's just an easier way of finding obvious problems), you might then want to take out one stick and see if the BSOD's continue. If they do, switch to the second one.

daftendirekt

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
I ran memtest for about 3 hours. I ran my system with each stick: stick 1 in slot 1, stick 2 in slot 1, stick 1 in slot 2, stick 2 in slot 2, and it ran fine.

I just did a BIOS update, and i haven't had any bsod's since, but this may not necessarily mean the problem is solved

daftendirekt

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
After looking at bad reviews for specific components, i found this gem of a review from newegg.com that shows how the problem was with my RAM and not my motherboard. I RMA'ed the Ripjaws and ordered a Corsair pair.

"Cons: cold boot BSOD errors, which seems to be a recurring problem according to everything ive seen on online and on GSKILL forums. the problems recur every 5-6 days or so when the computer is turned on (after being off overnight) Win7 will crash 3-4 minutes after the startup screen. fiddling with BIOS settings will restore stability until another 5-6 days when the same problem returns."

I am expecting the new memory to arrive today. The problem should be resolved.