Your question

Looking for a good graphics card that won't be bottlenecked by my CPU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 23, 2009 2:58:37 AM

Hi everyone. Just joined, and I'm hoping to learn a lot by reading these forums.

I just got my very first job and I'm really looking forward to having a good gaming PC for the first time in my life. For four long years I had a GeForce FX 5500, and a couple months back I got a new PC that came with integrated HD 3200 graphics onboard. Though it's nice to finally be able to play stuff like Call of Duty 4 and Fallout 3, I have to do it at low resolutions and turn off all the effects so the games end up coming out muddy-looking.

However, my CPU seems pretty weak. It's a AMD Phenom 9150e Quad Core, with its cores at 1.8 GHz. It's definitely not a gaming processor, but will it bottleneck very badly?

All I want to do is play games at maximum settings in 1440x900 resolution (my monitor's maximum) and not have my FPS ever dip below 30. I don't want to vsync or apply 16x AA or anything crazy. I just want to be able to turn on all the special effects in my games.

Would that be possible with my CPU? What video card would work for me?

Thank you very much for your time. :]

More about : good graphics card bottlenecked cpu

a c 221 U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 3:03:47 AM

The particle effects will hurt performance a fair amount, however just cranking up the texture detail, shadows, and AA are all handled by your graphics card so you should be able to set those fairly high.

What power supply do you currently have in your system? You have an energy efficient CPU so im going to guess that its not too much but try to find out the wattage and amperage available on the 12 volt rail if you can. You should be able to handle a 5770 even if its not that strong of a PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The 5xxx series is dropping in and out of stock pretty quick, just keep your eyes open for one that you like thats in stock, they are all reference cards so the only difference is warranty and included software.
m
l
November 23, 2009 3:10:37 AM

hunter315 said:
The particle effects will hurt performance a fair amount, however just cranking up the texture detail, shadows, and AA are all handled by your graphics card so you should be able to set those fairly high.

What power supply do you currently have in your system? You have an energy efficient CPU so im going to guess that its not too much but try to find out the wattage and amperage available on the 12 volt rail if you can. You should be able to handle a 5770 even if its not that strong of a PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The 5xxx series is dropping in and out of stock pretty quick, just keep your eyes open for one that you like thats in stock, they are all reference cards so the only difference is warranty and included software.

My power supply is a stock 300w one, I figure I'll probably need to upgrade it.

I'm reading some 5770 reviews and it looks really nice. Would it go alright with my CPU?
m
l