Should I partition 1TB hard drive for win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hello,

I intend to use a 1 TB drive for windows 7. I understand 100GB is enough for the Win 7 OS, but I have a 1TB disk for win 7 because I want to separate OS and data into different hard disk.

My question is should I partition the disk to 200GB and install win 7 inside the 200GB partition. (and leave the other partition untouched)

OR

Should I install win 7 without doing any partition?

Note: This 1TB disk will be used for win 7 only. All the other unused space will remain unused and untouched.

Thanks

Solution
the smaller partition size will make certain operation like back up easier and keep file located closer on the harddrive. Its also quicker to format 200Gb then 1Tb. :p

So first option of 200Gb would be the way to go. Even smaller size works like 60Gb works if you going to put game/data on other drive. Go SSD.

I am curious why only use the drive for win 7 and waste the rest of the space?

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
the smaller partition size will make certain operation like back up easier and keep file located closer on the harddrive. Its also quicker to format 200Gb then 1Tb. :p

So first option of 200Gb would be the way to go. Even smaller size works like 60Gb works if you going to put game/data on other drive. Go SSD.

I am curious why only use the drive for win 7 and waste the rest of the space?

Solution

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I used to partition a 1TB in 2 partitions, one partition for Win 7 OS and the other partition for data storage.

But this year, I have 1 new WD and 1 new Samsung F3 Hard disk spoiled within a few months, so when I change a new hard disk, I would need to move the data partition too and it takes a long time to do it.

Since I am having bad luck with disks, I decided to let the win 7 OS install into a disk by itself and I will store all my data on in another disk. In this way, I can reduce the time taken to change my hard disk if the win 7 OS hard disk fail.

I see no reason to partition the hard disk, particularly if you'll only install Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.