Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should I partition 1TB hard drive for win 7

Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2011 10:43:34 AM

Hello,

I intend to use a 1 TB drive for windows 7. I understand 100GB is enough for the Win 7 OS, but I have a 1TB disk for win 7 because I want to separate OS and data into different hard disk.

My question is should I partition the disk to 200GB and install win 7 inside the 200GB partition. (and leave the other partition untouched)

OR

Should I install win 7 without doing any partition?

Note: This 1TB disk will be used for win 7 only. All the other unused space will remain unused and untouched.

Thanks

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 14, 2011 10:59:46 AM

the smaller partition size will make certain operation like back up easier and keep file located closer on the harddrive. Its also quicker to format 200Gb then 1Tb. :p 

So first option of 200Gb would be the way to go. Even smaller size works like 60Gb works if you going to put game/data on other drive. Go SSD.

I am curious why only use the drive for win 7 and waste the rest of the space?
October 14, 2011 11:32:28 AM

I used to partition a 1TB in 2 partitions, one partition for Win 7 OS and the other partition for data storage.

But this year, I have 1 new WD and 1 new Samsung F3 Hard disk spoiled within a few months, so when I change a new hard disk, I would need to move the data partition too and it takes a long time to do it.

Since I am having bad luck with disks, I decided to let the win 7 OS install into a disk by itself and I will store all my data on in another disk. In this way, I can reduce the time taken to change my hard disk if the win 7 OS hard disk fail.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 82 G Storage
October 14, 2011 10:12:22 PM

smalltech said:
Hello,

I intend to use a 1 TB drive for windows 7. I understand 100GB is enough for the Win 7 OS, but I have a 1TB disk for win 7 because I want to separate OS and data into different hard disk.

My question is should I partition the disk to 200GB and install win 7 inside the 200GB partition. (and leave the other partition untouched)

OR

Should I install win 7 without doing any partition?

Note: This 1TB disk will be used for win 7 only. All the other unused space will remain unused and untouched.

Thanks
I see no reason to partition the hard disk, particularly if you'll only install Windows 7.
Score
October 28, 2011 7:13:34 AM

Best answer selected by smalltech.
Score
a b G Storage
October 29, 2011 8:23:13 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!