10 month old computer constantly restarting/not working, please help!

bozosayshi

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Here's the story of the computer: Built it about 10 months ago, it worked flawlessly until yesterday morning. Vista 64 bit. It's a great computer, everything is top of the line or a few notches below it (when I bought it.) I haven't cleaned it since then, will try that later tonight. IDK if that will change anything though... Here's what happened. I'm gonna try to be really detailed because I truly need this fixed ASAP.

Yesterday: Turned the computer on and everything was fine, in about 20 minutes it froze. Turned it off, and when I tried to turn it on the mobo didn't beep and didn't start up. I waited for about 15 minutes and tried again, this time upon start-up I got a CPU error and it asked me if I wished to enter my BIOS and configure or continue with current settings. I continued, and the computer froze in about 30 seconds. I waited another 15 minutes before trying again, and this time chose to configure. I reset the settings in the bios and it loaded up and worked perfectly the rest of the day.

Today: Turned the computer on and in about 30-40 minutes it froze. Turned it off, mobo didn't beep, same thing as yesterday. However, on the 3rd startup where I got the CPU error yesterday, something totally different happened. Instead of freezing, it started rebooting. No warning, nothing. Within 10 minutes of every time I turn the computer on, it will freeze once in a while but most of the time it rebooted. I went into Safe Mode and it rebooted again. Every time it rebooted, I had to turn the computer off and on in 10+ minutes because the mobo would not beep/comp not startup. I tried running an anti-virus, and Avast froze when it started looking at "user32.dll". I tried running system restore, and every time my computer would freeze or reboot before the window opened. I gave it a good 50 minutes before an attempt, and in safe mode I finally got system restore to run. It worked, and then upon reboot it froze. I am now sitting here waiting for more time to pass before I try to turn it on and see how the restore worked.

In a couple hours I will be trying to configure my bios back to default, and open and clean all dust from the computer. If the BIOS thing works like it did yesterday, although the symptoms are somewhat different, how can I stop having this happen every day? And if these don't work, is there anything else I can do besides delete everything? I would go buy Windows 7 and end the pain right now, but I am worried that the problem will carry over, and to be honest I am a big computer lover and hope to have a career in computers, I want to find out what in the world is causing this and make sure it never happens again.

Please help me, thank you.

bozosayshi

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Tried setting the BIOS to defaults in hopes that it will fix the computer at least for the time being like yesterday, but after about 10 minutes of running the computer froze.

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

Make sure to check all connectors before drawing any conclusions. Cleaning always runs the risk of something coming loose.

TRENDING THREADS