H60 water cooler on an Asus Sabertooth z77

redshore

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Hey everyone, just wondering what the best set up regarding the cables from my H60. Right now i have a push pull configuration. The fan that came with the H60 is plugged into the CPU_FAN header on my motherboard and the other fan is connected to my fan controller on the 650D. My 3-pin pump power cable is connected to the nearest 4-pin CHA_FAN. The only other fan header near the pump is CPU_OPT. Is this correct? Or is there a better configuration? Right now i can't access fan speeds/temps as my 680 is coming in next week.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or feedback. Thanks.

redshore

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
As able to get into bios (forgot my monitor supported hdmi :/ ) My radiator fan (CPU_FAN) is running at 1500rpm and my pump fan (CHA_FAN) was running at 1100rpm. Idle temperatures were CPU:30 C and Motherboard:29 C. I swapped the cable orientation so my pump power went to the CPU_FAN header and i got rpms up to 1900 with CPU temperatures of 27 C. Is this RPM acceptable??????

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

wow, the fact that you got it going that good off a motherboard fan outlet, speaks highly of your boards ability to pump out some amps. the simple fact is that all motherboard ports are hardware restricted from 1 to 2 amps, pumps run from 1 to 5 amps total, depending on the maker and build. if you are running a PWM pump, it would have two power plugs, one for the Molex connector, and the other goes to the mother board. to give you control over the pump speed, and provide a readout of what that speed is, I hope this helps.

redshore

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Thanks for the reply! The pump only has a single cable for a CPU fan header on the motherboard. The thing is people say the H60 pump should never fall below ~3500rpm or it might face to risk of damaging the pump. How am i able to achieve acceptable idle temperatures with only ~1800rpm. I'm afraid to turn on my computer atm for the risk of potential pump damage.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

run a converter from the pump plug, that changes into a Molex. you won't be able to change the speed of your pump any more, but at least it will run at full speed. but before you do that, do you know what type of pump it is. so that I can check out it's specifications, to make shore that this will work properly for your pump.

redshore

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

hey i managed to figure it out. I put my pump cable into the CHA_FAN3 header and the radiator fan into the normal CPU_FAN. I went into bios and disabled Q-Fan activator for the Chassis Fan 3 (pump cable). Got my rpm up to 4200 as it should be. All fixed :D :D thanks for your help.

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
..... Have you used the Thermal radar that the board has for a feature..Good thing about it you can set up each fan for your needs..You can name each fan so you know every fan in detail...The board even has heat sensors so you know were all the hotspots are so you can set each fan to speed up or slow down at different temps....what i do is all my fans are made from Atec that comes with a High Low switch but i leave them in high and i ajust them through the thermal radar feature...Even your CPU fan on your WC unit it does every thing for you..slows down on idol speed up on a load... just make you that your cpu wc unit is pluged into the cpu 4 pin header and the rest dont matter..

TRENDING THREADS