Random freezes for minutes at a time, help please!

gmariani

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Here is my build:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3320418AS 320GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 x 2
Intel Core i7-920
MSI X58 Platinum SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W
Asus GeForce 7900 GTO
Windows 7 RC 7100

My problem is that randomly (sometimes a few days in between or right after a restart) my computer will freeze. But it's not completely frozen, though. I can still move my mouse, sometimes still use (to a degree) the programs I already had open. But if I try to open ANYTHING else, that program will stop responding. The more I try to use it in this frozen state the more programs will stop to respond. I've even tried ctrl-alt-delete, but instead of the dialog coming up. 5min later I get an error box saying "failure to display security and shutdown window" or something to that effect.

Eventually, if I wait long enough, the computer will open all the programs/windows that I tried to open while it was frozen. But that can be anywhere from 5min to 20min of waiting.

I've tried updating all my drivers, disconnecting my DVD drives. The RAM I'm going to start messing with by swapping and removing tonight. One thing to note, that when I built my system DIMM slot 3 doesn't recognize my RAM, but DIMM slot 5 does. So it's running in dual channel mode, but using the 1st and 3rd channels to do so. Not sure if that could have an impact or not.

Any suggestions are more than welcome, thanks again.