AMD x4 965 BE overclock on a hyper 212 EVO temps

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hey there, i just built my first rig! i am wondering about temps, i have installed the hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler on a amd 965 BE, i decided to overclock it to 4Ghz, i did so successfully, im wondering about temps,.. my room temp is 22 degrees, my case temp on my probe is 25degrees on idle, my cpu idle is 30-32 degrees (4ghz) and 57 on full load (4ghz) are these good temps? i used the coolermaster thermal paste that came with my cooler so i was wondering if it was not doing its job so well..

So my question, are my temps fine? :)

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
my case has 2 outtake (top and back) 2 intake (front and side) all 120mm fans, i could add another outake at the top, another intake at the side and a intake at the bottom, either 140mm or 120mm, or even add another fan to my hyper 212

Hydroc10

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I would say your idle temp is fine but 57c under load is a little high. Add the fans and try to get your load temps down to 50-52c.

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
what fan would you recommend as the second one? i cant find the hyper 212 evo fan anywhere. also, seeing as all my fan slots on my motherboard are taken up, how would i set it up?

Look under CM fans -- do you still have the bracket?

Your temps are not bad, but without knowing your volts it is hard to help you. AMD max temp spec is 60c+

AMD processors each have varying 'volt walls' -- every chip is different. Your goal should be to find the volt wall for your chip.

As an example, at 4GHz, you may be pushing 1.425v with temps at 57c. You may well be capable of running 3.8GHz 1.375v 46c

It gets to a point where you have to run up the volts to gain little practical clock speed. Driving up the volts simply drives your temps higher for few GHZ in return.

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
i still have the CM bracket

when i overclocked, all i simply did was make the multiplier from 16x to 20x, still running stock everything else, so my cpu at 3.8 say with lower volts and lower temps wont be any much slower that 4ghz at higher volts and temps?

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

CPU RATIO -auto

CPU/NB frequency -auto

CPU Voltage-auto

CPU/NB voltage-auto

CPU VDDA voltage-auto

sorry to sound a newbie, but im not sure what the NB is on the end of them and what to set those to.

Check out the BE oveclocking guide up top, it will help you understand some of the terms used,
but if voltage is on auto then yes, that is definitely pumping up your temps, you should find the right voltage manually and should lose some degree's just from that
Moto

Its not undervolting, its finding the best setting,
the mobo may automatically set the Cpu voltage higher than is necessary for it to run efficiently, like 1.45v when you can actually run it at 1.425,
its for you to finetune and find the spot where it has enough power to run, but not too much that it creates an excess of waste heat,
you should be able to get 4GHz on that chip with some fiddling, just remember to never exceed the Amd spec for maximum voltage, not nominal, maximum, it should be around 1.55v but check amd's site for your chip
Moto

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

In my bios i cant find a set thing that allows me to set my voltage,

There is

CPU ratio

CPU/NB FREQ

CPU over voltage (is that it?)

VDDNB Over voltage calibration

Loadline calibration

HT link speed

HT over voltage

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
i found it under hardware monitor..

My VCORE voltage is 1.428V...

should i try lowering it bit by bit? how will i know if it works or not?

You want to find the lowest setting it will boot at, try 1.325 or thereabouts to begin with,
if it won't boot into windows, up it one, then try again, and so on until you can boot successfully,
its all in the Oc guide I mentioned earlier, just takes some time to find whats right for your chip, even the next one off the wafer will behave differently so every chip is unique in that sense,
its for you to tune yours as best you can
Moto

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
MY only problem is that i cant find anywhere allowing me to change my VCORE, it will let me change overvoltage...

my motherboard is a ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 version 0801

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
hmm.. i put a pea-sized dot of thermal paste on my cpu, i reckon thats fine, 57C is at 100% load for 4 hours.. it would never get that high in anything but stress tests..

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
i do not have C1E and CnQ enabled.. my ambient temp is about 21C, when it boots into windows at 4Ghz and idles at about 30-32C

benovsky

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
i think the reason for the higher temps in the beginning was that the thermal compound didnt.. 'bed in'? ive heard the temps get better the more you let the pc run, thanks alot though :) so CnQ wont affect my OC when actually needing it cause people have said to disable it for that reason.